Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted May 08, 2019 06:38 PM

Has anybody here deployed a virtual Mobility Master to a VPS or cloud service (e.g. Google Cloud Platform or AWS)?

If so, are you able to share any experiencds or steps?

I did ask HPE directly, and they said it's not supported officially.

• 2.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 07:45 AM

Also wondering about this.

I know you can migrate Hyper-V to AWS.

Are setup is 2 x Mobility Masters on separate Hyper-V hosts so would love to test a migration using the secondary MM.

Does anyone know if you need to change the IP of the Mobility Master if this means you need to re-add all controllers or can you just change the IP they are pointing to for the MM?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:50 AM

I forgot to add, also tried migrating a successfully running MM on VMWare to AWS, via VMDK, and it failed to boot after converting & in AWS.

I believe this is because the Operating System needs to be supported by AWS, and ArubaOS is not one of them.

Reason why i took the nested VM path.

Finally have not tried AWS on VMWare public cloud, but feel if it was to work will work there.

• 4.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 09:37 AM
    I guess it is going to be trial and error.

Did you mention it might work on GCP?

Maybe I’ll hold off for now but I just don’t see why it should be a problem but unfortunately it is ☹

Scott McMullan | Senior Systems Engineer | Kainos | DD: +44 (0)28 9057 1517 | s.mcmullan@kainos.com

• 5.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 10:13 AM

Hey Scott, it really is trial and error.

It was sometime ago, but from memory with AWS i didnt even get past the very start where you run command to test for virtulisation support.

With GCP i got a lot further, so much so where i got virt-manager to run, setup parameters and do the install. Then after install when it goes to boot it bombs out.

Some things to note, only KVM is supported and has to be on Haswell supported CPU, which is available in selected regions.

In the end we ended up buying a physical MM.

• 6.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 10:16 AM
    Thanks, appreciate all your info been very helpful.

We have just deployed mobility master physical vm however I am just looking towards the future and what would be involved with a migration as it interests me. Will give it a bit more thought.

Scott McMullan | Senior Systems Engineer | Kainos | DD: +44 (0)28 9057 1517 | s.mcmullan@kainos.com

• 7.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 07:55 AM

Lack of publuc cloud support is the detriment of Aruba.

So i have spent some time investing and found the following;

- AWS does not support Nest VM, so need dedicated server which is very expensive

- GCP does support Nested VM, and tried it but could not get the MM to successfuly boot up.

- Have not tried Azure.

I know thats not much of help..

• 8.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 07:57 AM

Why does it require a Nested VM for deployment in cloud?

• 9.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 07:59 AM

Becuase the server that you are installing it on in the cloud is a VM itself..

• 10.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:01 AM

You can do that in AWS I believe? One of the guys in my team is telling me so and he works heavily with AWS

• 11.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:05 AM

You can if you purchase a dedicated server, like an i3.metal, but thats very expensive.

But if you try to run KVM on a T3 or anthing a like it will fail.

A simpel command like "kvm-ok" will tell u this.

Ask your friend how they are running KVM, VMWare or HyperV on AWS, i will be very curious...

• 12.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:08 AM

AWS is running KVM - it doesn't need to run on anything else

• 13.  RE: Deploying Mobility Master in the cloud (Google Cloud Platform or AWS?)

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:11 AM

Of coruse AWS is running on KVM, as a backend.

But to run ArubaOS VM, you need it to run it as a VM - aka qcow2, which means "Nested Virtualisation" and only certain CPU's support this, to which GCP is one provider that has some insatced that does.

AWS does not support Nested VM.