Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

Posted Jul 15, 2014 11:27 AM

Trying to figure this out...

I have an AP-105 that is currently on the same subnet as my main controller (3200 @6.1.3.9) and want to physicaly move this fonctionnal AP to another building that is on another subnet that we communicate via MPLS (WAN) @ 100mbits/s.

What are the steps needed to move this AP?

I mainly use the GUI to manage my controller/APs.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 11:30 AM
    How are you doing controller discovery? I assume since you're directly connected, you're just using ADP?

All you would need to do is create a dns entry for aruba-master.domain that points to your controller IP so the AP can find the controller in the new location.

• 3.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

Posted Jul 15, 2014 11:44 AM
      |   view attached

Master discovery is as follow:

(see attached image)

• 4.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

Posted Jul 15, 2014 12:03 PM

Can I simply put the static IP of my controller where it says "  Host Controller IP Address  "?

Will my DHCP server at the remote location provide it an address or should I give the AP a static IP before moving it?

It already has a static IP at current location.

• 5.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 12:24 PM

The better thing to do would be as follows:

* If you manage your own DNS, create a DNS entry for 'aruba-master' with the IP address of your master controller as the A-record. When the AP comes up and pulls an IP address it will do a DNS lookup for 'aruba-master' and find your master IP and connect.

* If you don't manage your own DNS, but manage your DHCP, create a scope with option 43 configured as the IP address of your master controller, and option 60 as 'ArubaAP'. When the AP gets the DHCP response, it will contain the Option43/60 telling the AP where to look. (http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/DHCP_Option_43.php)

* If you do NONE of that, you CAN statically set the master-ip and provision it on to the AP directly. Note though that if the master IP ever changes, that AP will be orphaned until it is re-provisioned. It will still pull and IP address just fine, unless you disable DHCP and statically set an IP address on the AP (NOT recommended).  

• 6.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

Posted Jul 15, 2014 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will try method #2 (DHCP options).

At the moment, I do not have DNS control.

So, once my DHCP has these new options (43/60), I simply need to bring my AP (in DHCP mode) to my new site and it will get an IP from my DHCP server that has these options and will find the master controller on ts own?

I will be testing this at the end of the afternoon.

Thanks again!

Oh, and I highly doubt my controller will ever have a change of IP.

• 7.  RE: Deploying an AP-105 in a remote location (campus mode)

Posted Jul 16, 2014 08:50 AM

Just to let you know that by putting option 43/60 in my DHCP server worked!

I still don't understand why I can't simply give the AP a static IP and configured with the controller IP... I tried and did not work, unless I missed something.

The reason I would like this option to work is mostly for a specific site that has no DHCP server (all static IP's).

Thanks again for your help!