Designing High Density Wireless LANs
01-04-2012 12:01 PM
A similar version was also presented at Airheads Rio 2010. Topics covered include:
Why are high density environments so challenging?
- Shared Medium Access
- Limited Number of Channels
- Co-Channel Interference
- Limited number of 5 GHz capable clients
- Bad client behavior
- Application Delivery Throughput Requirements
How to perform capacity planning?
- Device count
- Channel count
- Target performance per device
- Total reserve vs. capacity
- Validation of capacity goal
What are the RF design strategies?
- Overhead coverage (ceiling mount APs)
- Side coverage (wall mount APs)
- Floor coverage (under the floor APs)
- Adjacent HD WLANs
How to configure ArubaOS for HD WLANs?
- Optimal channel distribution
- Optimal client distribution
- Optimal power control
- Optimal airtime management
Real world example
- University auditorium, 322 seats
- 8x AP-125s, HT20 11n design
- ~50 laptops, ~350 iPhones + iPods