Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Determining which AP connected to

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Determining which AP connected to

Posted Oct 13, 2017 03:51 PM

Curious, for survey people, or just troubleshooters... how do you determine which AP your laptop is currently connected to?

I've been experimenting with different apps (WiFi Explorer, WiFi Signal) that will identify an AP's name, but apparently the way the Aruba OS advertises (in beacon frames, not probe frames) means those apps won't receive the name.

I feel like this is such a fundamental thing that there must be a way, that I'm just unaware of.

Anyone want to share?

• 2.  RE: Determining which AP connected to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2017 07:07 PM

netsh wlan show interface will show the BSSID that the laptops is connected to on a Windows device.

On the controller you would type "show ap bss-table| include <that bssid>" to see what AP you are connected to.  Or, you could use Aruba Utilities  app on android in the google play store.  You can connect the app to the controller and it will translate the BSSIDs you are seeing to AP names.

• 3.  RE: Determining which AP connected to

Posted Sep 19, 2019 01:33 PM

Is there a macOS or Linux variant to this command? "netsh wlan show interface" I would like an end user to be able to report back to me what AP they are attached to.

IAP 315

• 4.  RE: Determining which AP connected to

Posted Sep 19, 2019 07:16 PM

Hold the OPTION key down and click on the Wireless icon on the menubar at the top of the screen.