Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Device Name on controller or airwave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Device Name on controller or airwave

Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:14 PM

Is there a way to see on the controller or airwave the device name of an ipad, windows and android devices?

What i have done so far was enabling AMON and also create a custom view on airwave to see the LAN hostname

I can see a FEW devices name... but i mean out of 100 i just see like 25 or 20...

Iam missing configuration? or is not possible?

Cheers

CArlos

• 2.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:19 PM
    In ArubaOS 6.5 there is a parameter that allows you to use the mdns name as the computers username if the device is not using 802.1x. it is in the AAA profile.

If you are using any other ArubaOS, the network must support dynamic dns registration of DHCP hostnames into DNS. Airwave will then do the reverse DNS lookup to find out the hostname...

• 3.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave

Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:23 PM

Collin

If the user is using mac authentication

It will override username if we use the aruba os 6.5? becuase the username is the mac address

• 4.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:26 PM

I don't know if it overrides the username.

The question is, what do you want there?  if you are using clearpass, there is a way to return the username as a real username when you are doing mac authentication.  Do you want a username, a hostname or what?

• 5.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave

Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:31 PM

I guess the hostname is okay on airwave

He just want to see the hostname for now...

He is getting clearpass but he does not have it yet...

He wants to see in airwave the hostname at least so he can locate the device... or at least know to who belongs that ma address...

• 6.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:51 PM

• 7.  RE: Device Name on controller or airwave

Posted Apr 26, 2017 07:20 PM

Collin

i configured this on the client

"If you are using any other ArubaOS, the network must support dynamic dns registration of DHCP hostnames into DNS. Airwave will then do the reverse DNS lookup to find out the hostname... "

This worked pretty good!

Thank you!