Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Devices not connected to the nearest AP

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Devices not connected to the nearest AP

Posted Jun 01, 2017 10:54 PM

Hi, I have three IAP-225s all of them are on the following setttings:

AP.PNG

Our AP is set up in a triangle formation in our office. The top being the furthest and the bottom two of the "triangle" are in a good range to each other.

The problem I am facing is that, there are devices that are at the bottom connected to the furthest and vice versa. There is a total of 31 or more devices connected at one time. The one at the furthest is only doing 5 connections but its connected to the devices that are closest to the bottom. The furthest AP has around 11 clients but they are connected to the bottom APs.

I don't understand why the bottom users are not connected to the bottom and the ones at the furthest not connected to the furthest. How does the load balancing work? Or is devices locked on to an AP based on their first login and thereafter they are not dropped out and connected to the nearest AP?

Can someone give me some insights on how to go about optimising the APs? So that the load balance is even out. Right now its something like this:

Bottom 1: 10 users

Furthest: 3-5 users

Bottom 2: 10-13 users

Looking forward to your replies. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Devices not connected to the nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 03:00 AM
    That is because the power on the access point is too high by default. Clients are not going to move from an access point where the power is still good enough.

If all of the access points are within earshot in a small area, I would make the min transmit power 9 and the max transmit power 15. I would also make the wide channel band only 5ghz, because the 2.4 GHz band should not have wide channels.

• 3.  RE: Devices not connected to the nearest AP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 06:35 AM

We have a higher ed campus deployment, 325 AP in every other room, and have some issues with one older type res hall.

Currently we're running 8.2.1.1 and students are connecting to farther APs than they should, like APs one floor up or below rather than APs literally one room over. Power settings for 2.4 are 12 and 6 (20mhz wide) and 5Ghz is 21 and 15 (max 80mhz wide). We rely on Airmatch to tune things but I'm not sure things are working.

Any advice on tuning? Lower 2.4 power? Close the 5Ghz wide channels?

Any help is appreciated.

• 4.  RE: Devices not connected to the nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:13 AM

Try running 40 or 20mhz channels first.  You would have to do an "airmatch runnow quick" on the MM or wait until 5am the next day for the access points to change channel width.  Running 80 mhz definitely makes it possible to be more "sticky".

• 5.  RE: Devices not connected to the nearest AP

Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:38 AM

Thanks, that's what I figured.

The bizarre part is they are dual band clients (iPhone 7, Windows 10 laptop) that insist on staying on 2.4. My thought was they can still see a strong 2.4, so why move? But the flip side is why isn't Airmatch steering them to 5Ghz?

My understanding is Airmatch overrides the 6.x.x.x era Band Steering and Client Match, correct?