Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Différence between Labels and Sites on Aruba central.

Hi,

I would like to know what is the différence between "labels" and "sites" in Aruba central ? Can I have a simply explication please because i'm not an english native speaker.

I have 26 AP and 3 SSID ( EMPLOYE - GUEST - BRANCH) 

I want 20AP on my site on headquarters with SSID EMPLOYE and SSID GUEST only.

1 AP on my branch site 1 with SSID GUEST and SSID BRANCH.

1 AP on my branch site 2 with SSID GUEST and SSID BRANCH.

1 AP on my branch site 3 with SSID GUEST and SSID BRANCH.

.... up to 6 branch sites

SSID EMPLOYE have to be available only on headquarters and ssid branch only on branch sites.

The SSID configurations are the same but i want to separate by branch.

Thanks for your return.

Reagrds

Aimad

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Re: Différence between Labels and Sites on Aruba central.

Sites and lables are used to group AP's for monitoring purposes and not configuration. Sites are used to group devices by physical location and labels are used to group devices by type, etc. For example you might want all your conference room AP's to be in a single label so you can montor those AP's seperately. Devices can be a member of 5 different lables. 

For what you are trying to do is accomplished by using our "Zone" feature. The way Zoning works is you would set a Zone name on the SSID (Under advanced options) and then you would apply that same Zone (case sensitive) to the AP's you only wanted that SSID to be broadcast. Any SSID that isn't setup with a Zone will also broadcast on AP's that have a Zone. 

For your headquarters your Branch SSID would be setup normally and would be broadcast to all 26 AP's. However, since you want the Employe and Guest SSID to only broadcast on 20 AP's you would add a Zone to those SSIDs and then add the Zone to those AP's. If they will always be the same Zone you could use the same zone for both but if the AP's for each SSID might change then you might want to use different Zones. So you could name the Zone for Employe to be "Employe" and the Zone for the Guest SSID to be "Guest" and then modify each of the 20 AP's to be a member of "Employe,Guest" and SSIDs with the Zone name of "Employe" or the Zone name of "Guest" will only broadcast on those AP's. 

For the Branch sites you would do the same thing. You would add a zone to the SSID and only add the Zone to the 1 AP you want it to broadcast on. 

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Sites and lables are used to group AP's for monitoring purposes and not configuration. Sites are used to group devices by physical location and labels are used to group devices by type, etc. For example you might want all your conference room AP's to be in a single label so you can montor those AP's seperately. Devices can be a member of 5 different lables. 

For what you are trying to do is accomplished by using our "Zone" feature. The way Zoning works is you would set a Zone name on the SSID (Under advanced options) and then you would apply that same Zone (case sensitive) to the AP's you only wanted that SSID to be broadcast. Any SSID that isn't setup with a Zone will also broadcast on AP's that have a Zone. 

For your headquarters your Branch SSID would be setup normally and would be broadcast to all 26 AP's. However, since you want the Employe and Guest SSID to only broadcast on 20 AP's you would add a Zone to those SSIDs and then add the Zone to those AP's. If they will always be the same Zone you could use the same zone for both but if the AP's for each SSID might change then you might want to use different Zones. So you could name the Zone for Employe to be "Employe" and the Zone for the Guest SSID to be "Guest" and then modify each of the 20 AP's to be a member of "Employe,Guest" and SSIDs with the Zone name of "Employe" or the Zone name of "Guest" will only broadcast on those AP's. 

For the Branch sites you would do the same thing. You would add a zone to the SSID and only add the Zone to the 1 AP you want it to broadcast on. 

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Many thanks, I have understand.  it is clear :).

Other question please : There is an impact if I use "US-2" instead of "EU" for my zone ? I created my network too quickly.

Many thanks.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: