Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Sep 21, 2012 02:53 PM

Hello,

Is there a difference between  "Replace hardware" and  just deleting/adding new AP? I was under the impression that when replacing hardware (replacing already existing AP with a new one and using the Replace Hardware option) the history from the old one will be available versus deleting the old AP and recreating it for the new hardware and starting the AP history from scratch.

• 2.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Sep 21, 2012 04:05 PM

That is correct. The configuration and history of the failed AP will be associated with the new replacment AP.

• 3.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2012 04:25 PM

You've got it right.

The benefit of replace hardware is that it preserves data already gathered in AMP.  The scenario that makes the most sense is a down AP.  Instead of deleting the old AP and adding the new one, I can add the new AP, and then use the replace hardware.  This action appends the new APs data to the old AP while removing the old device from being monitored (hopefully because it's been decommissioned).  This helps if you've got helpdesk admins working on cases overlapping with user issues where devices were replaced.

It also helps for long running reports.  Because if you remove a device without deleting the entry (when replacing a device), and add a new device, your uptime report will show a down device where the new device came in.  So there's a few different uses for the replace hardware option, but you've got the right idea.

• 4.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Sep 21, 2012 04:56 PM

Thank for your answers.

That is what I was expecting, but the the data in Airwave for the last AP I replaced just started from 0 and no old data is showing from the old AP. May be I need to verify what type of data we are talking about - I was looking for the radio statistics (channel, noise, power changes) and those statistics were all reset. It looks like the device events are still there from the old AP. What data should we expect to be available from the old AP after replacing hardware? 

• 5.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2012 05:40 PM

That was a defect, but should have been addressed in 7.5.4 (current latest release is 7.5.5).  What version of AMP are you running?

• 6.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Sep 24, 2012 12:34 PM

We have 7.5.5 and it still does it.

• 7.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2012 01:10 PM

Thanks for the update.  Will try to reproduce in the lab to show Product Management and then file the defect appropriately.

• 8.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Sep 24, 2012 03:17 PM

Thank you for your reply and for taking time to test it. Please, let me know if you need more information from us.

• 9.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Oct 10, 2012 06:56 PM

Thanks for reporting this issue. This was reproduced inhouse and we see a mixed behaviour. Channel, Usage and 802.11 counter has the data that it previously had (i.e) before replacing but channle, noise and phy error's data are replaced with the new AP's data. This defect is filed. Will update you once it is fixed. If you need any other details please let us know.

• 10.  RE: Difference between "Replace hardware" and just deleting/adding new AP

Posted Nov 14, 2019 11:39 AM

I am getting an alert because I didn't follow the replace hardware scenario. I just swapped the AP and gave it the old AP name and IP. But now the old AP MAC is giving me alerts. How do I fix this?