Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jun 23, 2015 02:52 AM
    Hi Guys, Could someone give me the actual difference between "any any any route src-nat" and "any any any src-nat" with a usecase as to how it works in Aruba?

• 2.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jun 23, 2015 03:07 AM

Hi Joe_Lee,

Its mainly required when you are working with RAP.

Below is the screenshot from AOS UG.

image 4.jpg

• 3.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jun 23, 2015 05:31 AM
    Hi SumaN, Thanks for your posting, but I think what you have posted only tells me what is src-nat and dst-nat is. However, I am keen to know more about the functionality of "any any any route src-nat" and "any any any src-nat" with a usecase along with the difference between them.

• 4.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2015 08:00 AM

Route src-nat is specifically used in an ACL when split tunneling client traffic on a Remote AP http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Split_Tunneling.htm  You would use split tunneling on an access point configured at a remote AP at a branch office so that corporate traffic gets sent back to the corporate headend and internet traffic gets sent locally to the ISP.

Soure-NAT is configured as an ACL for a Campus AP to do NAT translation for a user's traffic on a campus:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/ip_access_list_session.htm?Highlight=src-nat

• 5.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jun 23, 2015 09:57 PM

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the post.

Say for example, My split-tunnel ACL's are like this

any any svc-dhcp permit
    any any svc-dns permit
    user controller any permit
    any any any route src-nat <<<<<<<< instead of this if I specify as "any any any src-nat", then what is going to happen to the user traffic?

Could you please explain in detail

• 6.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2015 11:59 PM
    I never tried src-nat with a split tunnel rap, but from experience, the results could be unpredictable, or just not work, at all.

• 7.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jun 30, 2015 10:51 AM

I think it´ll be forwarded throught he tunnel and NATed to the RAPs inner IP (taken from the central VPN pool on the controller). But I´m not sure.

Cheers,

• 8.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

Posted Jul 30, 2016 12:38 PM

Could there be an error in this RAP split-tunnel document?

In the document 'src-nat' is stated for the splitting policy in stead of 'route src-nat'.

Rgds

Peter

• 9.  RE: Difference between route src-nat and src-nat?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2016 12:59 PM

That is incorrect.  It should be route src-nat.