Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Differences between Aruba firewall and ACL versus others?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Differences between Aruba firewall and ACL versus others?

Posted Aug 04, 2013 02:04 AM

Hello,

Could you help me understand the differences between best practices, or should I say bad habits, learned elsewhere for firewalls and ACLs and best practices for Aruba?

Some specific things come to mind for an Aruba controller:

• Is there EVER a reason to have the firewall do a reject?  My previous experience is that you do not want to do this as it gives the intruder information.  With the exception of troubleshooting it should be avoided.  Am I missing something?
    • Rules should start with specific and go to general.   Correct?
    • Are there any differences to be aware of from elsewhere?

Regards,

David

• 2.  RE: Differences between Aruba firewall and ACL versus others?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2013 05:16 AM

@djkershaw wrote:

Hello,

Could you help me understand the differences between best practices, or should I say bad habits, learned elsewhere for firewalls and ACLs and best practices for Aruba?

Some specific things come to mind for an Aruba controller:

• Is there EVER a reason to have the firewall do a reject?  My previous experience is that you do not want to do this as it gives the intruder information.  With the exception of troubleshooting it should be avoided.  Am I missing something?
    • Rules should start with specific and go to general.   Correct?
    • Are there any differences to be aware of from elsewhere?

Regards,

David

The paradigm is pretty much the same.

One reason why you would do a reject is for performance:  There are some clients that will introduce a wait state when there is no response, as opposed to moving onto a different method of communication when there is a reject.  This is only one example that is not specific to Aruba:  I am sure there are others.