Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Different in AP EIRP and what is configured in ARM

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Different in AP EIRP and what is configured in ARM

Posted Apr 04, 2018 07:18 PM

Hi,

I've noticed that even though i've configured an 802.11a ARM profile with an ARM range of min 3 dBm and max 3 dBm, when I do a 'show ap active' command the AP is showing an EIRP of 4.5 dBm. I'm wondering why it's adding an extra 1.5 dBm to the transmit power and if this can be controled or configured? I beleive I've seen this behaviour with other WAPs as well and different WLC's. I'm using code 6.5.1.9 and an AP225. Below is an output of the ARM profile and the 'show ap active command':

#show rf arm-profile dot11A-ARM-Profile

Adaptive Radio Management (ARM) profile "dot11A-ARM-Profile"
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Assignment single-band
    Allowed bands for 40MHz channels None
    80MHz support Disabled
    160MHz-support None
    Client Aware Enabled
    Max Tx EIRP 3 dBm
    Min Tx EIRP 3 dBm
    Rogue AP Aware Disabled
    Scan Interval 10 sec
    Aggressive scanning true
    Active Scan Disabled
    ARM Over the Air Updates Enabled
    Scanning Enabled
    Multi Band Scan Enabled

# show ap active

Active AP Table
    ---------------
    Name Group IP Address 11g Clients 11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP 11a Clients 11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP AP Type Flags Uptime Outer IP
    ---- ----- ---------- ----------- ------------------- ----------- ------------------- ------- ----- ------ --------
    b4:5d:a0:56:54:a3 MHF 192.168.46.17 0 1 AP:VHT:161/4.5/22.5 OAW-AP225 Aa 16h:31m:37s N/A

Flags: 1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; 2 = Using IKE version 2;
    A = Enet1 in active/standby mode; B = Battery Boost On; C = Cellular;
    D = Disconn. Extra Calls On; E = Wired AP enabled; F = AP failed 802.1x authentication;
    H = Hotspot Enabled; K = 802.11K Enabled; L = Client Balancing Enabled; M = Mesh;
    N = 802.11b protection disabled; P = PPPOE; R = Remote AP;
    S = AP connected as standby; X = Maintenance Mode;
    a = Reduce ARP packets in the air; d = Drop Mcast/Bcast On; u = Custom-Cert RAP;
    i = Provisioned as Indoor; o = Provisioned as Outdoor;
    r = 802.11r Enabled
    Q = DFS CAC timer running

Channel followed by "*" indicates channel selected due to unsupported configured channel.
    "Spectrum" followed by "^" indicates Local Spectrum Override in effect.

Channel flags: +/- = 40 MHz, E = 80 MHz, S = 160 MHz, E+E = 80 + 80 MHz (i.e. 36E+149E)

Num APs:1

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Different in AP EIRP and what is configured in ARM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 07:30 PM
    With the gain of the internal antenna on the AP 225, the minimum transmit power is 4.5

• 3.  RE: Different in AP EIRP and what is configured in ARM

Posted Apr 04, 2018 07:50 PM

My understanding about EIRP in was that it's the measurment of the signal as it leaves the antenna (and that it calculates the loss between the radio and antenna as well as the gain from the antenna itself).

Looking at the AP225 datasheet again I can see it mentions that the internal loss between the radio and antenna is 3 dB in 5 GHz and that the max antenna gain is 4.5 dBi in 5 GHz, which ends up being a gain of 1.5 dBm which is what I'm seeing. 

So I guess this mean that the EIRP in the ARM profile is the dBm generated at the radio interface and we should take into account each WAP's properties to know what the final EIRP will be?

• 4.  RE: Different in AP EIRP and what is configured in ARM
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 10:55 PM

EIRP is total conducted power minus any cabling losses, plus antenna gain.

So for example on the AP-225, the max conducted power (at the internal antenna connectors) is 18dBm. Since there are 3 radio chains for each radio, the aggregate conducted power is three times that, or +4.8dB, for a total of 21.8dBm.

The internal cabling loss applies to the AP-224 (loss between the RF connectors on the radio cards and external connectors, which in this case also includes diplexing circuitry). For AP-225, all internal losses are already accounted for in the 18dBm number.

Adding antenna gain to the 21.8dBm number results in the max EIRP numbers for each of the two radios of the AP-225.

Note that antenna gain varies by direction; the number that's reported in the datasheet is the max gain in a particular direction, so actual EIRP will vary in the 3D space around the AP. In general it is so that the the higher the (max) gain, the more variation in gain there is as well (since antenna gain does not change the actual amount of power transmitted; it only focuses the energy).

The EIRP power numbers and settings in our software are based on the max gain number.

Finally, EIRP is typically limited by regulatory rules, and our software will often have to back off the conducted power level to ensure that we do not exceed the applicable EIRP limits.

Hope this helps.