Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disabling higher data rates in mixed client environment

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Disabling higher data rates in mixed client environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 04:20 AM

Hi,

I have a mixed client environment, with 802.11n and 802.11a/g clients.  This particular environment is very challenging in terms of RF interference with varying levels of non-wifi interference and multi-path interference.

For the 802.11a/g clients I find that sometimes it helps to remove the higher data rates, to minimise the effects of such things as multipath etc.

My question is, how would this affect the n clients, apart from them not being able to use those rates?  Are the n rates still all there in that case?  Ideally I want to accomodate all clients without having to create another ssid, so any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Disabling higher data rates in mixed client environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 04:46 AM

Please download our High Density Validated Reference Design here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf and search for rates to see what is recommended.

An excerpt from one of the passages is here:

"

• Disabling Low Rates: By definition, any high-density coverage area has APs and clients in a single room or space. To minimize unnecessary rate adaptation due to higher collision activity, it is a requirement to reduce the number of supported rates. This may be accomplished by just enabling 24-54-Mbps legacy OFDM rates. However, all 802.11n MCS rates must be enabled for compatibility with client device drivers. "

• 3.  RE: Disabling higher data rates in mixed client environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 07:35 AM

Thanks Colin,

Wasn't so much concerned with the lower ones.  I wanted to disable the higher rates for the legacy clients.

I forgot this command

show ap ht-rates bssid <bssid>

Tested as well.  Chopping off the higher rates in the ssid profile doesn't affect n capable clients and their rates.

:smileyhappy:

• 4.  RE: Disabling higher data rates in mixed client environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2012 08:07 AM

Michael,

I spoke to one person in the past who mentioned disabling the higher rates on the assumption that clients would not transmit successfully at those rates, so only allow the lower ones.  It was in a specific situation and I am not sure that provides any real benefit.