Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

We have two controllers (MODEL: Aruba7210), Version 6.5.4.2.

The core network that they are connected to is using MSTP. As the controllers only support RSTP and PVST, I think it may be best to disable spanning tree onthe controllers and let the core switches handle loop prevention via MSTP.

I would like to know the following:

1 - Is it possible to disable spanning tree entirely on the controllers - if so how?

2 - With spanning tree disabled, will the controllers forward BPDUs received on one port out of the other(s), or will they be dropped.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Guru Elite

Re: Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

config t

no spanning-tree 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/spanning-tree(Global).htm?Highlight=spanning%20tree

That will turn it off globally and depend on your switches for loop detection.  This is typically a best practice.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the quick answer to question 1.

I would still like to understand what the behaviour of the controller will be with spanning tree disabled. Will MSTP BPDUs coming in to a port on the controller be forwarded out of other ports, or will they be dropped?

Guru Elite

It will be forwarded out of ports on the same VLAN. 

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: