Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

We have two controllers (MODEL: Aruba7210), Version 6.5.4.2.

The core network that they are connected to is using MSTP. As the controllers only support RSTP and PVST, I think it may be best to disable spanning tree onthe controllers and let the core switches handle loop prevention via MSTP.

I would like to know the following:

1 - Is it possible to disable spanning tree entirely on the controllers - if so how?

2 - With spanning tree disabled, will the controllers forward BPDUs received on one port out of the other(s), or will they be dropped.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Guru Elite

Re: Disabling spanning tree on 7210 Controllers

config t

no spanning-tree 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/spanning-tree(Global).htm?Highlight=spanning%20tree

That will turn it off globally and depend on your switches for loop detection.  This is typically a best practice.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the quick answer to question 1.

I would still like to understand what the behaviour of the controller will be with spanning tree disabled. Will MSTP BPDUs coming in to a port on the controller be forwarded out of other ports, or will they be dropped?

Guru Elite

It will be forwarded out of ports on the same VLAN. 

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: