Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Jun 18, 2014 03:43 AM

Hi,

I need to create a new network on IAP with 225 AP. I would like to know how many clients could be suport for each AP and bit rate average.  Somebody can help me please? It's essential to get this information for study the best option of my network.

I found some information about this, but It wasn't from aruba. I found that in 3x3 MIMO could be support between 60 to 80 clients, but I would like to know if it is right, and also de bit rate average of this clients.

I appreciate all your help,

thanks in advance,

Xavi

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2014 08:56 AM

This is difficult to give you a hard number because it all depends on the type of clients and type of applications that will be running.

This question has been asked many times. I invite you to read the following thread which I know will help in your understanding.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/How-many-concurrent-client-connect-to-AP/m-p/134869/highlight/true#M28771

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/ap-105-maximum-clients/m-p/65108/highlight/true#M19173

Again, without knowing the network and how it will be used it will be difficult to give you a number.

A 225 should be able to support 60-80 clients, I have seen a 135 support that number easily so a 225 shouldn't have an issue.

• 3.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Jun 18, 2014 10:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I read all the thread and I got an idea about how many users should support an Aruba 225AP.

I still have a quesiton about bit rate. Is Aruba 225AP  possible to support 60-80 clients with 300Mbps average?

Thanks in advance,

Xavi  

• 4.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2014 11:35 AM

Again, that depends on whether the clients connecting support 802.11n 2x2.

I have a deployment with 105 and the clients are using Lenovo 802.11 2x2 laptops and I consistently see on the IAP users connecting between 250-300mbps.

• 5.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Aug 08, 2014 03:25 PM

No an ap 225 will not support 60-80 clients with 300Mbs of throughput for each client.  They might maintain a connect rate of 300Mbs but I don't see getting this kind of throughput.

There are to many unknow variables in your question. just to name a few variables:

Just having one user who far form the ap could cause slow speeds.

Are you limiting users to 5Ghz?

Are all of the users devices capable of 300mbs?

I had a big event at one of my clients sites. We had IAP-225 installed. We didn’t look at the speeds they were getting but each ap handled 100-125 users without issue. No one complained about the speeds they received but I doubt their applications were very bandwidth intensive. 

• 6.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Nov 07, 2014 08:36 PM

I've seen as high as 199 concurrent clients. AP 225 is a beast.

AP225  max.PNG

• 7.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Oct 04, 2016 08:36 PM

Hi everyone,

What is the recomendation about configuration to have 100 associations per band in a AP 255. We need execute a test about support for our customer.

Please let me know you comments

• 8.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2016 04:25 AM

100 associations per band is not recommended because from a physics standpoint it involves dividing your bandwidth by 100 and the user experience is typically poor as a result.   If you need to engage in this to satisfy a customer, you could contact tac with your specific requirements.

• 9.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Nov 08, 2014 09:59 PM

RevolutionWiFi has a good presentation about planning WiFi for capacity: http://bit.ly/wlancapacity

The question really is: how many clients can I fit on one channel based on the bandwidth requirements? You need to factor in your spectral inventory (channels in 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and your client's capabilities (11n/11ac/legacy, 1*1 MIMO, 2*2, 3*3, etc)

• 10.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2014 10:47 PM

The truth is that the number of clients can be supported all depends on the application that needs to be used.  Web-based applications have been optimized  to tolerate latency and loss, so in the 199 device example above, web apps can be supported for quite a few users.  In addition, traffic from wireless devices are bursty, so all 199 devices will not be requiring bandwidth at the same time.

VOIP as an applicantion is bandwidth and delay sensitive and no more than 15 to 20 VOIP users could be supported on each radio depending on codec.  The high density VRD here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf  gives a great deal of information about everything that you should consider when planning for capacity.

• 11.  RE: Do you know how many clients does AP 225 support?

Posted Feb 15, 2015 06:28 AM

you have to notice that 60 to 80 is calculated by supposing that all device have  Wifi card that support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz .