Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?

Posted Feb 16, 2018 12:28 PM

Hi:

I checked the data sheet, in old models like 330 series and 205H, it says:

"Aruba Instant mode – In Aruba Instant mode, a single AP automatically distributes the network configuration to other Instant APs in the WLAN. Simply power-up one Instant AP, configure it over the air, and plug in the other APs – the entire process takes about five minutes. If WLAN requirements change, a built-in migration path allows 320 series Instant APs to become part of a WLAN that is managed by a Mobility Controller"

And in ordering Guide, there are models with and without instant controller, like "Aruba Instant IAP-334 (RW) 802.11n/ac Dual 4x4:4 MU-MIMO Radio Antenna Connectors 2.5+1 GbE AP" and "Aruba AP-334 802.11n/ac 4x4:4 MU-MIMO Dual Radio Antenna Connectors 2.5+1 GbE AP", it is clear that AP model doesn't have instant controller function.

But in new models like 340 series and 303H, in data sheet:

" Controller-less (Instant) mode – The controller function is virtualized in a cluster of APs in Instant mode. As the network grows and/or requirements change, Instant deployments can easily migrate to controller-based mode."

and in ordering guide, no iAP model anymore.

So do new models support instant controller? It is really confusing.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 01:08 PM

All newer Aruba AP models are "unified" and support both controller-based and Instant deployments with the same device.

Current unified AP models:

- 203H Series Hospitality APs

- 203R Series Remote APs

- 303H Series Hospitality APs

- 360 Series Outdoor APs

- 303 Series Campus APs

- 340 Series Campus APs

- 318 Series Hardened APs

- 370 Series Outdoor APs

You will not find IAP part numbers for these models, but Instant operation is fully supported on the AP ones.

• 3.  RE: Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?

Posted Feb 16, 2018 04:07 PM

So, if I want to add 303H to my current 325 iAP, i just need to make sure they have the same version of software? And 325 can control the update for 303H in the future?

• 4.  RE: Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 05:01 PM

Yup, just make sure your software is 6.5.2 at least.

• 5.  RE: Does 340 series and 303H AC support Instant AP mode?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2018 11:11 AM

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Aruba-Unified-AP-platform/ba-p/295661

An older announcement that we probably need to reinforce.