Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

Posted Jan 07, 2016 12:46 PM

I was working wihin the wireless controller logging facility to determine why our logging server receives only ARM messages and noticed that there are two logging servers configured, one being our internal syslog server and the other is the Airwave management platform.  My question is; Is it necessary to configure the Airwave management platform as a log server?

(I was able to determine the reason for only seeing ARM msgs. in our production syslog server)

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2016 09:53 PM

Totally Not necessary.  Sending syslog to Airwave will show the messages that are related to that client or that AP, or that controller  in Airwave, but it can be tedious to sort through if you have thousands of debug syslog messages.  Sometimes, even the default syslog can be so verbose that it will slow down Airwave and take up space.  It is better that syslog is processed on a dedicated platform specifically for that.

• 3.  RE: Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

Posted Jan 19, 2016 12:34 PM
    Is not a requirement , to monitor the controller you only need SNMP

Sent from Outlook Mobile

• 4.  RE: Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2016 12:41 PM

Some nice value adds of sending syslog to AirWave is being able to create trigger alerts off syslog data. For example, when there is a DFS radar hit, you can get an email.

• 5.  RE: Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

Posted Feb 22, 2018 03:57 AM

As a slight varions of this thread, if I have an IAP VC, and it generates a spectral analysis notice of new non 802.11 device detection, can this notice be sent via syslog or snmp, or to Central?   in the 6.5.4 guide it only says this notice can be sent to AMP.

Thank you

Neal

• 6.  RE: Does Airwave need to be setup as a logging server within the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2018 04:47 AM

This thread is about controllers sending syslog to Airwave.

An IAP that is managed by Airwave or Central automatically send the logs to Airwave or Central.  Setting up an external logging server is optional.