Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Posted Mar 04, 2013 02:15 PM

I'm currently playing around with the outdoor planner software.  I'm using the free version of Google Earth.  Everything works fine on the Outdoor Planning Tool, but when I get to the Calculate Data section, I get the below error.

"Uh Oh...

For Analysis please contact an administrator and send them a copy of the kmz file you tried to upload"

• 2.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Posted Mar 04, 2013 04:45 PM

Hi Salvi,

If you are using GoogleEarth for commercial purposes, then you are required to own a Pro license for GoogleEarth.

The technical issue you ran into has nothing to do with Google Earth.  It may be either a procedural issue or a KMZ issue. 

Can you please forward the KMZ directly to me at chuck@arubanetworks.com?

Thanks.

• 3.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Posted Mar 04, 2013 04:51 PM

Will send you the file in a few.  I'm just testing the software so I can show it to management and a Pro license be purchased.

• 4.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Posted Mar 14, 2013 06:07 PM

Any update on this?  Sent you the file but never received a response.  We purchased the Pro license, but it's still doing the same thing.  I have another file that was created by our support engineer and it works fine.

• 5.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2013 11:22 AM

You can PM it to me, or email me at 'jhoward -at- arubanetworks -dot- com' and I can look and see if I see anything odd about it. 

• 6.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Posted Apr 08, 2013 02:40 PM

Contacted TAC, issue ended up being the naming of the AP locations on Google Earth.  The Aruba tool doesn't accept any type of -/\, etc type of characters in the names.  It doesn't provide a good description on the error message though to figure it out what the problem is.

• 7.  RE: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2013 11:47 PM

You're right, the error codes are less than helpful much of the time. Good rule of thumb that I have used for years which hasn't let me down yet, is I always use lower case, no special characters outside of a '-', and keep the lengths of the names used for placemarks as short as possible. I also never put more than 30-40 placemarks per KMZ. So on my larger projects with 200-300 APs, I break them up into multiple, smaller KMZs and render separately, and then for any documentation, I will open and turn them all on. There's loads of reason why, but more than anything it keeps fast renders possible and helps the machine run smoother.

Additionally, I usually create a folder called 'Locations' as required, but also outside of that (under the root) also keep a folder called 'Objects' that I put all non-placemark data in. Most of the time the planner mucks with the polygon overlays (usually changes a transperant color to a solid white) but that's an easy fix post-processing.

Good luck, glad TAC got you straightened out.