Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

Posted May 29, 2019 04:00 PM

Hi community,

According to Aruba documents:

No hard limit exists on the number of APs or clients that you can support on a single cluster. However, the maximum tested IAP cluster size is 128 IAPs in a cluster.

But how has this been tested? With which IAP model? I think it will depend on the master IAP model. I guess an IAP cluster size where the master IAP is an IAP-305 will be lower than an IAP cluster size where the master IAP is an IAP-335, since the IAP-335 is much more powerful AP. So, does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model? Is it right?

Other vendors like Cisco with its Mobility Express flavor states that the maximum number of APs and clients suppported varies according to the master AP model, which makes more sense. Any comment?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

Posted May 30, 2019 05:43 PM

Hi,

Any idea?

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

Posted Jun 03, 2019 11:15 AM

Hi guys,

No ideas? Is the same to have a 100-IAPs cluster with a IAP-305 as VC than to have the same cluster size with a IAP-550 as VC?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

Posted Jun 03, 2019 06:36 PM

You should always the the most powerful AP be the VC. Personally I would not run more than 40 or 50 APs in a cluster but that is just based on my own intuition and not on any evidence.

• 5.  RE: Does the IAP cluster size depend on the IAP model?

Posted Jun 04, 2019 09:17 AM
    Hi,

Yeah, that's obvious but not my doubt, but how the 128-IAP cluster size has been tested? With which IAP model? Can a IAP-207 handle 128 IAPs fine?

Regards,
    Julián