Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

This thread has been viewed 39 times
  • 1.  Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Feb 14, 2019 04:57 AM
    Hi,
    Earlier someone in the air heads community told me that Aruba os 8 is only for mobility master. We can't use OS 8 without a mobility master.It was true because, we upgraded to OS 8 in our controller and it was asking for a mobility master during the initial configuration.

But yesterday, one of our customer who is using ap 303, which requires aos 8 ,upgraded to aos8. We told him it won't work without a mobility master. Then he opened a ticket in tac and they told him that it will work without a mobility master. He proceeded with the upgradation and it worked for him. So, don't we require mobility master for aos8 to work in a live environment?

• 2.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 09:04 AM

No.  You can run an ArubaOS 8 controller without an MM.

• 3.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 06:19 PM

No its absolutly not required as 

• 4.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Feb 16, 2019 01:29 AM

OK, but I think if we run multiple controllers in our environment with Aos 8, there will be problems with syncing between the controllers if we are not using a MM, right?

• 5.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 16, 2019 03:32 AM

You can still use Controller options such asMaster Controller Mode to allow for configuration propagation throughout an estate without a MM.

Take a look at the AOS8 Fundamentals Guide, it gives a really good overview of the available options.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

• 6.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Feb 21, 2019 01:43 AM

k, thank you for the confirmation

• 7.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Jun 04, 2019 03:26 PM
    Hello Aruba Gurus,
    based on your experience, if I don't have MM in my BoM, is it preferred to use AOS6 over AOS8?

• 8.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2019 03:28 PM

AOS should be what you use moving forward, especially for new deployments. All the latest APs, and any future APs, will require AOS 8. 

• 9.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 04, 2019 03:54 PM
    Aos8 is the way to go. Mobility Master inwould recommend because had have some great features like clustering, airmatch, live upgrades, etc.... but aos8 can also work without an mm

• 10.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 03:26 PM

The Mobility Master (MM) is a management platform that manages all of your MMs and APs using a hierarchical inheritance structure. APs do not and can not communicate with the MM, they communicate with the Mobility Controllers (MCs). The MM also performs other centralized tasks for the network and allows other capabilities, such as; AirMatch, Clustering, Live Upgrade, and MultiZone, to name a few. Deploying ArubaOS 8 in an MM environment is the best way with the most features.

You can also install ArubaOS 8 as a standalone. This standalone can operate with a VRRP backup, it you need redundancy. In this configuration, the APs will connect to the standalone controller. This configuration will operate similar to the way ArubaOS 6 operated. Most of the new features of ArubaOS 8 will not be implemented.

Lastly you can install ArubaOS 8 as what is know as a Mobility Controller Master (MCM). In this configuration, one controller operates similar to how a Master controller operated in OS 6, and one or more controllers will operate similar to Local controllers in OS 6. A difference is that in OS 6, the MCM CANNOT terminate any APs. So, the one device is dedicated  only to management. The additional controllers will terminal any APs. In OS 6 it was not uncommon for APs to terminal to Local controllers, and failover to the Master controller. This is not possible in an MCM environment.

So, yes, you can install ArubaOS 8 without a Mobility Master, however you are much better off deploying it with one, because of the added new features (Clustering is hands down a reason to do it).

I hope this helps,

• 11.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 04:16 PM

Hello 

thanks for the details you provided, appreciate. 

I started reading the AOS 8 Fundamentals book ... and I recommend it, 

• 12.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Apr 26, 2020 07:54 PM

@westcott

Thanks for clarifying some of my questions. I am one of those that have 2 x 72xx controllers running AOS6.x on Master/local architecture with a Master is in Site (A) and local in Site (B), and would like to upgrade to AOS8.x. So if I upgrade to 8.0 I can only terminate on one controller because the master will become MCM and cannot terminate APs correct?

if that is the case then I need to plan on getting  a VM or  x86. 

can you point me to the specs and the steps for the upgrade process.

Thanks in advance!

• 13.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted May 11, 2020 11:31 AM

Talk to an SE to determine which version of AOS 8 you should upgrade to. Then go to the Aruba support site where you can find the "Virtual Appliance Installation Guide" (I'm assuming you will go the VM router). In that document are the OS VM Requirements, along with the installation steps for the VM. I would recommend taking your existing config and going through it and rebuilding the configuration as opposed to trying to use the 6.x to 8.x migration/upgrade tool. This is an ideal time to clean up your environment and re-evaluate your current configuration.

I hope this helps,

• 14.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted May 11, 2020 12:11 PM
    @xzyan We were is the same position. To support newer APs going forward we migrated last summer. We had 7210s in a master/local config and we migrated to a MM on a VM environment. We clustered the two 7210s and made our remote 7030s locals with the clustered 7210s backups via LMS. We did have to get a license for a MM-1K but that all worked out. We have since started to deploy AP5xx APs that require 8.x code. The clustering works as designed and we failed over/back to make sure. I would recommend that you get together with your local support/VAR and go through the details/plans.

• 15.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2020 02:03 PM

Hi Xzyan,

I suggest you check this Fundamentals Guide (Section Migration to AOS https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

• 16.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Posted Mar 07, 2022 03:49 PM

Hi Westcott,

"APs do not and can not communicate with the MM, they communicate with the Mobility Controllers (MCs)"

Sorry for turn this topic up again, but i only have 1 Controller in my lab. So i wondering if i can setup this Controller working as MM and MCs? This mean 1 controller working both function: MM and MCs.

Thanks

------------------------------
    An Nguyen

• 17.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2022 03:59 PM
    If you have a single controller, that is an MCM that functions as both.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 18.  RE: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

MVP
    Posted Mar 08, 2022 09:07 AM
    For further reading, I recommend David Westcott's excellent AOS8 book

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-ArubaOS-Version-David-Westcott/dp/0998470414

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer