Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

Hi,
Earlier someone in the air heads community told me that Aruba os 8 is only for mobility master. We can't use OS 8 without a mobility master.It was true because, we upgraded to OS 8 in our controller and it was asking for a mobility master during the initial configuration.

But yesterday, one of our customer who is using ap 303, which requires aos 8 ,upgraded to aos8. We told him it won't work without a mobility master. Then he opened a ticket in tac and they told him that it will work without a mobility master. He proceeded with the upgradation and it worked for him. So, don't we require mobility master for aos8 to work in a live environment?
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Does the upgradation to Aruba os 8 requires a mobility master?

No.  You can run an ArubaOS 8 controller without an MM.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

No its absolutly not required as 

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Highlighted

OK, but I think if we run multiple controllers in our environment with Aos 8, there will be problems with syncing between the controllers if we are not using a MM, right?

Highlighted
MVP Guru

You can still use Controller options such asMaster Controller Mode to allow for configuration propagation throughout an estate without a MM.

Take a look at the AOS8 Fundamentals Guide, it gives a really good overview of the available options.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)
Highlighted

k, thank you for the confirmation

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Hello Aruba Gurus,
based on your experience, if I don't have MM in my BoM, is it preferred to use AOS6 over AOS8?
Highlighted
MVP Expert

AOS should be what you use moving forward, especially for new deployments. All the latest APs, and any future APs, will require AOS 8. 

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Aos8 is the way to go. Mobility Master inwould recommend because had have some great features like clustering, airmatch, live upgrades, etc.... but aos8 can also work without an mm
Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Highlighted

The Mobility Master (MM) is a management platform that manages all of your MMs and APs using a hierarchical inheritance structure. APs do not and can not communicate with the MM, they communicate with the Mobility Controllers (MCs). The MM also performs other centralized tasks for the network and allows other capabilities, such as; AirMatch, Clustering, Live Upgrade, and MultiZone, to name a few. Deploying ArubaOS 8 in an MM environment is the best way with the most features.

You can also install ArubaOS 8 as a standalone. This standalone can operate with a VRRP backup, it you need redundancy. In this configuration, the APs will connect to the standalone controller. This configuration will operate similar to the way ArubaOS 6 operated. Most of the new features of ArubaOS 8 will not be implemented.

Lastly you can install ArubaOS 8 as what is know as a Mobility Controller Master (MCM). In this configuration, one controller operates similar to how a Master controller operated in OS 6, and one or more controllers will operate similar to Local controllers in OS 6. A difference is that in OS 6, the MCM CANNOT terminate any APs. So, the one device is dedicated  only to management. The additional controllers will terminal any APs. In OS 6 it was not uncommon for APs to terminal to Local controllers, and failover to the Master controller. This is not possible in an MCM environment.

So, yes, you can install ArubaOS 8 without a Mobility Master, however you are much better off deploying it with one, because of the added new features (Clustering is hands down a reason to do it).

I hope this helps,

David
Sr. Trainer and Author of "Understanding ArubaOS: Version 8.x" book

--Give Kudos if you found something helpful, important, or cool.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: