Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Drop bc/mc on wired ports

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Drop bc/mc on wired ports

Posted Jul 25, 2013 05:26 PM

We have several branches using the wired ports on RAPs.  I'd like to optimize traffic on these ports, just as as we do on our VAPs by dropping bc/mc traffic traffic and converting ARP to unicast.  Is enable bmcm optimization on the controller's SVI the equivalent of a VAP's drop bc/mc?  I assume that's what I what I want.  If that's the case, how does it effect the the broadcast option in the wired ap profile?

• 2.  RE: Drop bc/mc on wired ports
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 06:03 PM
    Bcmc is equivalent to the drop broadcast / multicast on the VAP

Just make sure that any application the user will be using on the vlan doesn't require multicast

• 3.  RE: Drop bc/mc on wired ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 07:34 PM

I assume you mean BCMC Optimization in the VLAN on the controller and not the AP Wired port profile?  If it's the VLAN on the controller, this will drop all the broadcast and multicast frames on a VLAN (both wired and wireless interfaces) except for ARP, DHCP, IPv6 router advertisement, IPv6 neighbor solicitation and VRRP traffic.

• 4.  RE: Drop bc/mc on wired ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 07:37 PM

See below for the broadcast option in the wired ap port profile:

This knob is effective only on wired ports in tunnel mode. When this knob is diasbled, flooded traffic from other Wired APs (in both tunnel and split-tunnel forwarding modes) and Virtual APs (in Tunnel, Decrypt Tunnel , and Split Tunnel forwarding modes ) will not be flooded to this Wired AP. In order for this to work, the Wired AP, where the Broadcast knob is set to disable, must be in the tunnel forwarding mode.

Note: Disabling this knob on a wired port might break communication between users/phones on this port and the users/phones on other VAPs or wired ports that are on the same VLAN.

• 5.  RE: Drop bc/mc on wired ports

Posted Jul 25, 2013 08:08 PM
    Thank you both.