Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Dual DHCP Leases?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Dual DHCP Leases?

Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:14 AM

Hello All,

I have a group of medical devices that obtain a user role on a PSK SSID that assigns them to a VLAN based on MAC OUI.  I notcied in the logs upon connection that the devices get a DHCP address on the default VLAN and then grab another DHCP address on their appropriate VLAN.  I can see why this could occur on a wireless network but in anyone's experience, is this the expected behavior?  

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Dual DHCP Leases?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:37 AM

dhbennett,

What method are you using to move the device to a different VLAN, a user derivation rule?

You should enable debugging on a client to see what VLAN it ends up in and for how long:

config t

logging level debug user-debug <mac address of user>

When you have connected the device, you should type "show log user-debug all" to see if you see what VLAN(s) your client ends up in...

• 3.  RE: Dual DHCP Leases?

Posted Jan 06, 2015 10:46 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  That's what I have done (I was debugging the device for another issue when I noticed this).  I am using a user derivation rule and it does end up on the correct VLAN.  I'm attaching a log which will hopeful clarify what I am experiencing.

Attachment(s)

txt
    userdebug.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Dual DHCP Leases?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2015 02:40 AM

Is that a vlan-derivation rule you have?

I would expect to see that behaviour if it was a dhcp fingerprint rule, but not for a normal vlan-derivation.

Have you tried a role derivation rule, but in the role you specify the vlan?