Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  EIRP queries

Posted Jul 10, 2020 09:28 AM

Hi Team,

I have set EIRP as 6 and 12 in g radio profile. In arm, it is as below:

Min Tx EIRP                                                                  15 dBm
    Max Tx EIRP                                                                  18 dBm

However, when I check show ap active, it shows that AP is using 15dBm as EIRP.

EIRP in radio profile is considered, is that correct? Why is the AP using 15 dBm? There is no ap specific config.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: EIRP queries

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 10, 2020 09:46 AM

ARM must be taking over. Have you created a test radio profile with ARM disabled?

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/ARM.php

• 3.  RE: EIRP queries

Posted Jul 10, 2020 09:51 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your response. ARM is enabled so will it take EIRP from radio profile or ARM profile?

• 4.  RE: EIRP queries

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 10, 2020 09:57 AM

ARM should take over.

• 5.  RE: EIRP queries

Posted Jul 10, 2020 10:01 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. May I know what is the use of EIRP in radio profile.

ARM enabled and arm profile says Max Tx EIRP.

Min Tx EIRP 15 dBm
    Max Tx EIRP 18 dBm

Radio profile is as below:

Min EIRP 6 dBm
    Max EIRP 12 dBm

In show ap active, it shows AP is using current EIRP as 15, is that correct? I thought it will use EIRP in radio profile which ranges between 6 to 12 dBm.

May I know what is the use of EIRP in radio profile.

• 6.  RE: EIRP queries

Posted Jul 10, 2020 10:21 AM

Hi Team,

Please assist.

• 7.  RE: EIRP queries

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2020 11:09 AM

What version of ArubaOS are you running?  6.x or 8.x?  If you are running 8.x, do you have an MM?

If you are running anything without an MM, the AP uses ARM min tx and ARM max tx by default to determine the AP transmit power.  The radio profile EIRP would be used if the ARM setting was disabled.

If you are running 8.x with an MM, the radio profile min and max EIRP is used by Airmatch if you are running an MM in 8.x to determine the AP transmit power.

• 8.  RE: EIRP queries

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 11, 2020 12:08 PM

Have you tried after disabling ARM?

• 9.  RE: EIRP queries

Posted Jul 12, 2020 12:38 PM

Hi Team,

Thank you for your response. I have not made any changes. I would like to know the use of it before making any changes.

My setup is of standalone. 

• 10.  RE: EIRP queries

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2020 01:02 PM

The ARM min and Max TX power under the rf dot11a or g profile for the radio would dictate the transmit power of an access point.

• 11.  RE: EIRP queries

Posted Jul 12, 2020 01:32 PM

Hi,

In 6.x , EIRP is only present in ARM profile so we configure max and min EIRP. If ARP disabled, we configure the transmit EIRP i.e static. : Is that correct?

In 8.x standalone, we see max and min EIRP in radio profile and also in ARM profile, we see max Tx EIRP and min Tx EIRP. So would like to know which EIRP is used if I have standalone? 

In 8.x standalone, we see max and min EIRP in radio profile and also in ARM profile, we see max Tx EIRP and min Tx EIRP. So would like to know which EIRP is used if I have VMM-MD?

If I disable ARM in 8.x standalone and assign transmit power in radio profile, then AP takes that.

I have a standalone controller in 8.3 and would like to set max and min EIRP? Where do I have to do? 

ARM enabled and arm profile says Max Tx EIRP.

Min Tx EIRP 15 dBm
    Max Tx EIRP 18 dBm

Radio profile is as below:

Min EIRP 6 dBm
    Max EIRP 12 dBm

In show ap active, it shows AP is using current EIRP as 15 but radio profile max EIRP itself is only 12 dBm.

Thank you!

• 12.  RE: EIRP queries
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2020 02:23 PM

Nobody disables ARM.  If you did disable ARM, all access points would be the same transmit power and channel in the radio profile.

Unless you are running an MM, the Min and Max TX in the ARM profile decides what the transmit power range for the access point is when ARM is enabled.

• 13.  RE: EIRP queries

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 01:56 AM

If you disable ARM then radio profile power setting will be used, if you enable ARM then ARM EIRP setting will be used. Don't disable ARM under any circumstances because that will create more problem then you would imagine.