Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Error message when trying to add a new root user

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Error message when trying to add a new root user

Posted Nov 11, 2013 02:44 PM

Hey all  -

Trying to add a new root user for a vendor that will be coming in and I keep getting the following error: (thru the web interface)

Error: Exceeds the maximum limit for mgmt-user (10)

I have searched online for the error and am not having any luck so I'm hoping somebody out there has a solution.

This is on an Aruba 3400, running version 6.3.0.1

Any assistance is appreciated.

thanks!

• 2.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2013 02:48 PM

Gerri,

There is a maximum of 10 mgmt-users that can be created on a controller. That error message is indicating that you are trying to add an 11th. Can you confirm the number of mgmt-users you already have configured?

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

Posted Nov 11, 2013 02:51 PM

Yes that would be correct - 7 staff members, 1 receptionist, 1 admin and 1 vendor (different than the one I'm trying to add)

Seems odd that you can only have 10 - since 2 of mine are guest provisioning only - is there any way around this or do I have to delete one account to add this new one?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 11, 2013 03:02 PM
    You would have to delete 1 account in order to add another unfortunately.

• 5.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

Posted Nov 11, 2013 03:09 PM

Wow - huge oversite in the programming department.

Ill do just that - but way disappointed - really don't like having to used shared accounts for setting up users/etc or for the admin of the system - it's really important to be able to track who did what.

Thank you for the assist.

• 6.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2013 03:13 PM

Gerri,

As a side note, if you have an external radius or tacacs server,  you can use those login accounts and map them to the roles you want on the controller without hitting the 10 user limit.

With respect to the 10 user limit, I recommend submitting an enhancement request through the idea portal.

Best regards,

Madani

• 7.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

Posted Nov 11, 2013 03:15 PM

Interesting solution - is there a doc out there on just how to do that? I do have an external radius server that we use for authentication so that would be perfect.

thanks!

• 8.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2013 04:12 PM

Gerri.Urban,

There is a limit of 10 users under Management> Administration> Management users.

The other alternative, is that you can configure the controller to look at the Internal Database for users (configuration> Security> Authentication> Internal DB.  The same internal database that you use for guest users, can be used for admin users, but you need to add them with an admin role like root, etc for them to gain access.  You would need to (1) make sure a server group that has the internal database is used for admin users (2) Make sure that all admin users in the internal database are added with an admin role (3) Make sure that the Default Role for management authentication users is "NO access" so that user in the internal database without an admin role can gain access to the controller.  Both the management users under Management Users and those in the internal database with management roles will be able to gain access, moving you past the 10-user limit:

admin-users.png

• 9.  RE: Error message when trying to add a new root user

Posted Nov 11, 2013 05:04 PM

Super - after we get this roll out of the CPPM done I'll take a look at that -

thank you!

Gerri