Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Existing 8.1 Mobility Controller migration to Mobility Master

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Existing 8.1 Mobility Controller migration to Mobility Master

Posted Dec 17, 2019 12:45 AM

Hello Guys,

I have an existing topology composed of two Mobility Controllers doing VRRP as redundancy already on ArubaOS 8 version and also two version 6.5 mobility controllers . I have to migrate them to Mobility Master and have seen no documentation tips regarding the migration of the 8.1 mobility controllers to mobility master, only 6.5 version through the Migration Tool. Anyone could please help me with that?

Ps: The two controllers (8.1 x 6.5) have very different configuration in

Thank you veru much!

• 2.  RE: Existing 8.1 Mobility Controller migration to Mobility Master

Posted Dec 17, 2019 09:54 AM

I would say that migration of standalone to MM is the same regardless of AOS version. The CLI commands are more or less the same - migrating as-is. Migrating just a couple of boxes doesn't warrant migration-tool imo.

In short..

Deploy the Mobility Master, create your tree-structure and copy config on a CLI level. Do a license migration. Take Controller Two (the inactive one) out of the VRRP cluster, write erase and connect it to the MM. Do device-specific Config. Add some AP to this and verify that all is working.. Move all AP's to new MM-MD. Make sure you whitelist the AP's.. If your AP's are configured to use VRRP - just move VRRP-master to the MM-MD

Then repeat the process with Controller One.

This way you can prepare everything during daytime, and move AP in a short maintenance window. You will also have the option of fall-back if things go bad :)

• 3.  RE: Existing 8.1 Mobility Controller migration to Mobility Master

Posted Dec 19, 2019 06:33 AM

We're wondering about closele related thing. We have two controllers but both are standalone and we'd like to migrate them to a cluster.

Current plan is to:

1. Create cluster with only one member
    2. point aruba-master DNS to the VRRP address
    3. Wait for DNS to update
    4. Reboot APs, they should come up at the cluster?
    5. After last AP move the second controller to the cluster

Would this work?

• 4.  RE: Existing 8.1 Mobility Controller migration to Mobility Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2019 06:37 AM

Yes.