Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Expected option 12 data source

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Expected option 12 data source

Posted Jan 06, 2020 12:27 PM

I'm wondering what the expected data source for option 12 info that gets placed into the user-table.   A bunch of clients in my network provide the same option 12 value (making it not very easy to distinguish them from each other).   My DHCP server provides unique names per mac address.   Unforunately, the controller is taking the value FROM the client and not the value provided to the client from the DHCP server. 

Is this correct?

• 2.  RE: Expected option 12 data source

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 12:46 PM

DHCP option 12 is the name requested by the client.  That field is what is used to display the username for non-802.1x clients when enabled in the AAA profile;

Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 11.44.55.png

• 3.  RE: Expected option 12 data source

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 12:49 PM

Following up, the majority of clients use dhcp option 12, but few users leverage the dhcp server like yourself to provide that, hence the feature is targeted at user dhcp option 12.

As an option, you can do mac authentication for clients and reply with a username attribute that would also populate the username field.

• 4.  RE: Expected option 12 data source

Posted Jan 06, 2020 01:10 PM

Thanks for following up with a suggestion.   I don't think I can do that with an internalDB, need Clearpass, right?   I'm trying to minimize my complexity/moving parts (not add Clearpass)...as this is my home network.

I guess I can wish that things would be different with how option 12 works.   Since an administrator went to the trouble to send a client a name in option 12.   Wouldn't the administrator want that value instead of what the client provided?   Maybe the logic could be "use client provided unless server provides a name".  I know this behaviour probabaly won't change...just talking out loud.

• 5.  RE: Expected option 12 data source

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2020 01:21 PM

I don't know of a way for it to be done with the Internal DB, unfortunately.

Post and vote for your feature here:  https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/