Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 12:23 PM

Hi community,

I don't have hands-on with extenal antennas, I have always used the IAP's integrated omni-directional downtilt antennas, and fine with them. Right now I have to install some IAPs 305 at 12 meters height with omnidirectional pattern, and wonder if I need external antennas. Looking at Aruba antennas there are several models, and if you want to have directional patterns, high gain, etc. you can find some types which can fit. But in the case AP-ANT-13B, this is a omni-directional downtilt antenna. Why would I need this external antenna if I can achieve the same operation with the IAP's integrated omni-directional downtilt antennas? For example, if IAP-305/315 antennas has very similar gain and radiation patterns than that of AP-ANT-13B, why to make things more difficult with this external antennas?

Regards,

Julián 

• 2.  RE: External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 03:11 PM

Julian,

You're correct that the pattern and gain of the AP-ANT-13B (or AP-ANT-16) antenna is very similar to that of the ones that are built in with the AP-305. Coverage will be very similar.

At 12m high, you may be able to get away with using the built-in antennas. As an alternative, you could use a higher gain antenna like AP-ANT-38. Mounted on the ceiling that effectively gives you a narrowed downtilt.

• 3.  RE: External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 03:25 PM

Hi,

Then, what is the purpose of AP-ANT-13B and/or AP-ANT-16 if you can manage without them?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 03:32 PM

Aesthetics. Some customers prefer to hide the AP above the ceiling (for example) and only see these small, low-profile antennas.

• 5.  RE: External antenna AP-ANT-13B needed?

Posted Nov 30, 2018 03:34 PM

Hi Onno,

Perfect, I thought the same. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right way. Many thanks!

Regards,

Julián