Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

External antenna gain value when provisioning

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  External antenna gain value when provisioning

Posted Jul 29, 2014 12:14 PM

Hi all,

The antenna gain specs for the AIR-ANT-1B are 3.8 dBi (2.4GHz) and 5.8 dBi (5GHz). The AP provisioning page on the controller will only allow gain values in .5 dBi increments. There is also this tidbit taken from the AP-22x data sheet:

Antenna-info-AP-22x.png

Does this mean the gain values for the AIR-ANT-1B should actually be 2.3 dBi (2.4GHz) and 2.8 dBi? And, if I must enter this in .5 dBi increments, should I round down or up?

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP220Series.pdf
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-1b_ss.pdf

Thanks,
    Mike

• 2.  RE: External antenna gain value when provisioning

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2014 12:42 PM

I would do 3.5dBi and 5.5dBi (round down to the nearest 0.5dBi). If you are US, you don't need to account for the diplexer loss unless you just want to as you shouldn't be anywhere near the regulatory limits (so 2.0dBi and 2.5dBi provisioned acounting for the diplexer loss).

Hope that helps. 

• 3.  RE: External antenna gain value when provisioning

Posted Jul 29, 2014 03:02 PM

Thanks Jerrod,

Needing to get these online I set them at 4.dBi and 6dBi, so I rounded up. Would that be ok or do you reeccommend rounding down? This is for a classroom building in a campus setting and some classrooms have fairly high density seating capacities.

Mike

• 4.  RE: External antenna gain value when provisioning

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2014 04:20 PM

Going up you're fine then, again, you likely won't get near any regulatory limits so you should be fine...

• 5.  RE: External antenna gain value when provisioning

Posted Jul 31, 2014 10:30 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm leaving things rounded up for now. We'll survey the building and see how things look.

Mike