Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

External antenna with indoor access point issue

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  External antenna with indoor access point issue

Posted Nov 01, 2013 01:06 AM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I've a situation where I want to cover some 8th floor blaconies, each about 15m x 10m in size. At each balcony I want to install the antenna beneath a level 9 window box (on a MNT-22-2) and connect it via a waterproof conduit to an indoor access point (AP-224) in the interior room.

This seems ideal, in that it:

• Only requires 1 x  dual band antenna not 2 x single bands
    • Can use a smaller indoor model access point
    • Can benefit from new 11ac generation of access point
    • Can benefit from cheaper access point model

But my concern is that I don't know if extension cables exist for RPSMA connectors, like there are for the N-Type connectors, as well as the associated lightning arrestors.

I have not seen this combination mentioned on the forums, which is also a worry :) but I can't see why it would not be the prefered option in these "short range - on side of building" senarios.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Shane

• 2.  RE: External antenna with indoor access point issue

Posted Nov 01, 2013 03:16 AM

I don't have the Aruba price list to hand, so I'm not sure if there's an official "pigtail cable" part yet?

But if there's not, you can buy cables off loads of companies over the internet, and they ususally let you specify end connectors, length and cable grade.

TIP: Always get the BEST quality ultra-low-loss cable you can that is rated for both 2.4ghz AND 5ghz if you do go down this road.