Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:39 AM

Hi,

I have two 7240's in a Master-Standby setup with VRRP, where all AP's terminate on the Master controller. The other controller is hot standby. They are both in the same subnet.

If I want to implement Fast Failover, what should be the values of the LMS & backup-LMS IP?
    The Aruba bootcamp book is saying to enter the VIP, some forums tell me to enter only the LMS-IP and leave the backup-IP field blank. I've also found an Aruba page, telling me the LMS fields are "optional".

• 2.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup
    Best Answer

• 3.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:49 AM

Thanks a lot, didn't came across that page yet. I found this page, but I notice that this is probably for AOS 6.3:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvFastFailover.htm

If I understand correctly, to setup Fast Failover in a VRRP based setup, set the mode to "dual" is a must?

• 4.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:49 AM

Yes

EDIT:  No.

EDIT:  YES.

Explanation:

Back in 6.3.x, we could not support HA and Master Redundancy, with DUAL.   In 6.4 We could, that is why the instructions are different.  I apologize for the confusion. 

• 5.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Feb 23, 2016 07:02 AM

Thanks again. One additional question.

I have preempt configured on the VRRP groups, as well on the HA group.

Is it best practise to enable LMS preemption in that case?

• 6.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 23, 2016 07:06 AM

Can't seem to find these steps in the link you provided, only thing I find is setting it up as "dual":

That Active/standby mode came from the 6.3 document.

this is from the link you provided:

Migrating from VRRP Redundancy

Perform the following steps to migrate from VRRP to High-Availability redundancy:

1. Remove the VRRP IP address as the LMS IP address of the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #no lms-ip

2. Configure the AP to use the active controller’s IP address (not VRRP the IP address) as the LMS-IP for the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #lms-ip <ipaddress>

3. Configure the AP to use the standby controller IP address (not VRRP the IP address) as the backup LMS-IP for the AP.

(host) (AP system profile) #bkup-lms-ip <ipaddress>

4. Configure the master controller with a dual role in the high-availability group profile.

(host) (config) #ha group-profile grp1

(host) (HA group information "grp1"): controller <ipaddress> role dual

5. Configure the standby controller with a dual role in the high-availability group profile.

(host) (HA group information "grp1"): controller <ipaddress> role dual

• 7.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 08:55 AM

The answer is Yes.

Explanation:

Back in 6.3.x, we could not support HA and Master Redundancy, with DUAL.   In 6.4 We can, that is why the instructions are different.  I apologize for the confusion. 

• 8.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Feb 23, 2016 09:18 AM

All clear now! thanks a lot.

Currently I'm doing preemption on the HA. Should I then also enable LMS-preemption?

• 9.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 09:23 AM

Yes, you should.

• 10.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Mar 04, 2016 04:20 AM

Hi Joseph,

I'm been thinking more about the setup I have now, and I'm wondering:

If the controllers are in a L3 VRRP setup (Active/Standby), is HA: Fast Failover still necessary.

- If the active controller fails, VRRP will switch over to the Standby controller

- All AP's will still terminate on the VRRP VIP address.

- HA won't have any effect in this scenario.

So I'm starting to think I don't need HA Fast Failover in my setup?

• 11.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 08:01 AM

You can use either one, in that scenario.

• 12.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Mar 04, 2016 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

When you say either one, do you mean use VRRP - OR - use HA Fast Failover as failover mechanism.

I'm trying to figure out if there's an advantage in running both simultaniously?

• 13.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 11:37 AM

Yes.

There is no significant advantage to running them simultaneously if you are using master/backup master (standby) and you are already pointing access points to the VRRP.

• 14.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

Posted Mar 27, 2018 02:17 PM

Well, Configuring APFF in addition to VRRP on Master Active/Standby will help in the situation where you have many APs and you need them to smoothly moving from the Active to Standby at the time of failure. With APFF and HA the APs will create two IPSec/GRE tunnels to the Active and Standby controllers that help the APs to imidiatly switch to the standby controller (Less delay time).

• 15.  RE: Fast-Failover in VRRP setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 02:31 PM

The standby controller will not be able to service clients until it has control of the VRRP.  If the access points fail over before the VRRP is switched, the clients on those access points will not be able to do anything.

It is best to just deploy APS pointing to a VRRP between master/standby.  For any other relationship, fast failover will work just fine.