Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Flapping detected by switches

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Flapping detected by switches

Posted May 15, 2018 10:50 AM

I'm using 18 AP-205's on 6.5.4.5_63641

They are attched to Cisco 2950's. The Cisco's are logging flapping on most of the ports with AP's attached to them.  Some across the same switch and some between different switches.

•  %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 8cc8.cd72.3e16 in vlan 100 is flapping between port Po20 and port Gi5/0/25
    •  
       %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 8cc8.cd72.3e16 in vlan 100 is flapping between port Te1/1/1 and port Gi1/0/11
    •  
      %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 8cc8.cd72.3e16 in vlan 100 is flapping between port Gi5/0/25 and port Po20
    •  
       %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 8cc8.cd72.3e16 in vlan 100 is flapping between port Po20 and port Gi5/0/25

I've seen a few people mention this in the community but havne't seen any solutions.  Most of these are occuring on devices that are in between two AP's and it appears to be flapping between the two switch ports of the two different AP's.  I'm assuming this may be causing connectvity issues for the device doing the flapping.  

• 2.  RE: Flapping detected by switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 05:46 AM

If that MAC address (8cc8.cd72.3e16) is a client, the messages tell you that the device is roaming to another AP (on another port on the same or other switch).

The MAC Flapping message basically says that your switch sees a MAC address at one port, and suddenly after that at another port. This is expected behavior with Instant APs as the client breaks out at the AP and appears to be moving from port to port while roaming.

Do you have issues as well? Or is it just these messages?

This link seems to have a solution on how to disable the messages on your switches.