Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs

Posted Jan 22, 2014 12:58 AM

Hi forum

Is there some way you can assign more than one VLAN per layer 2 GRE tunnel?  I guess I'd really like to have a 'GRE dot1q trunk'.  At present all I know about doing this is creating one tunnel per VLAN.

I'd like a big guest network, but I'd like to assign a VLAN pool to it to break up the broadcast domain, I'd like to bridge the VLANs across a GRE tunnel as I find offloading the defautl gateway of a guest from the main controller to a DMZ controller very desirable (I am currently routing multiple VLANS across a layer 3 GRE tunnel)

Anyone addressed this kind of capacity issue to events ~2000 nodes plus?

many thanks

• 2.  RE: GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs

Posted Jan 22, 2014 02:06 AM

I guess what I am really trying yo achieve here is not having to create 10 (or 20 tunnels including fault tolerance) between internal and DMZ controllers per VLAN, and looking to have a single IP used only.

I'd rather not assign a /16 address block for broadcast domain reduction.

• 3.  RE: GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs

Posted Jan 22, 2014 06:27 AM

The configuration syntax is there to support multiple VLANs in a single static GRE tunnel yes. My 6.3.1.1 controller allow me seemingly to put lots of VLANs in it (hundreds). My understanding is that the VLAN IDs are retained within it.

I can't say I've implemented it on that scale though, so couldn't comment on performance. I've done a few with a couple of VLANs in GRE inside IPSEC (public traversal). I supose as long as the controller is a big one, and the network topology throughout could sustain the tunnel scale/potential, it sounds like a reasonable idea (unless the Aruba guys say different).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of these architectures, but in some cases, it's needed of course.

• 4.  RE: GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2014 06:32 AM

you should be able to add multiple VLANs to the the "tunnel vlan" command of the tunnel interface.  You should be able to use a "," or "-" to designate multiple.  For example:

interface tunnel 500

tunnel vlan 500-510

OR

interface tunnel 500

tunnel vlan 500,505,510

• 5.  RE: GRE Tunnels and multiple VLANs

Posted Jan 22, 2014 07:03 AM

I can't beleive I didn't know that - thanks a million guys