Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

GRE tunnel

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  GRE tunnel

Posted Jan 31, 2013 01:30 AM

Hi ,

Have to create the set up with Access Point and Aruba controller.

Topology :

-------------

AccessPoint <-----> DistributionSwitch <-----> AccessController

Management has configured on both AP and AC and they are in same subnet.

What is the minimum configuration required on AccessController to bring up GRE tunnel b/w AP and AC.

Appreciate your quick response.

• 2.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2013 05:21 AM

Nothing.  A new AP should find the controller via broadcast and then attach to it.  It will then configure itself with whatever is in the default AP group on the AC.

• 3.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Jan 31, 2013 05:43 AM

Thanks Joseph , as per my understanding is it Layer2 GRE tunnel ?

• 4.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2013 05:47 AM

I do not know.  It is not configurable.

• 5.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Jan 31, 2013 08:16 AM
    Hello.
    GRE is not running on L2. It's L3 protocol, then IP addresses on both (AP and MC) is a must.
    I think that as default it is GRE, but Control Plane Security must be disabled (default enabled).
    If CP Sec is enabled, it will be IPSEC tunnel.

J.

• 6.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2013 08:37 AM

Both layer2 and layer3 GRE tunnels require source and destination ip addresses in their definition to determine the two devices they are connecting.  Layer3 tunnels have a separate "inner" ip address in addition to source and destination addresses.  On a layer3 tunnel, you would have to have a route to get traffic into that tunnel.  On a layer2 tunnel you would just bridge traffic into that tunnel and not have to worry about routing.

The purpose of a GRE tunnel on an access point address is to bridge user traffic from the access point to the controller.  Only a layer2 tunnel is required for this.

• 7.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Jan 31, 2013 12:43 PM

cjoseph wrote :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both layer2 and layer3 GRE tunnels require source and destination ip addresses in their definition

to determine the two devices they are connecting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per above statement , i understood AP is Layer3 switch ?

Am new to WLAN and also to Aruba products so asking above basic question.

• 8.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2013 12:49 PM

@rajshekarreddy wrote:

cjoseph wrote :

Both layer2 and layer3 GRE tunnels require source and destination ip addresses in their definition

to determine the two devices they are connecting.

As per above statement , i understood AP is Layer3 switch ?

Am new to WLAN and also to Aruba products so asking above basic question.

To be clear, the GRE tunnel in an access point is to tunnel WLAN and possibly wired traffic back to the controller.  The GRE configuration cannot be changed, or configured because it is administrative.

I did not say that the AP is a layer 3 switch.  Your internal Aruba resources would have much more detailed information.

• 9.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Feb 01, 2013 12:33 AM

DHCP will assign ip address to AP's physical port or any other circuit ?

Answer to above question will clarify some of my doubts.

Is there any command available to check where exactly this ip address assigned on AP.

• 10.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2013 06:23 AM

@rajshekarreddy wrote:

DHCP will assign ip address to AP's physical port or any other circuit ?

Answer to above question will clarify some of my doubts.

Is there any command available to check where exactly this ip address assigned on AP.

DHCP assigns addresses to an access point.  An access point can havea static ip address but it is much easier to use DHCP.

The console port of the access point will show what ip address the access point obtained.

• 11.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Feb 01, 2013 12:59 PM

In case of CISCO AP , ip address will be assigned  Bridge Virtual Interface (BVI)

so want to know how it will happen on Aruba AP as if   

IP assigned to port then it is Layer3 Switch or Router but AP is Layer2 device. 

• 12.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Feb 04, 2013 04:15 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cjoseph wrote :

The console port of the access point will show what ip address the access point obtained

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have connected to AP through console but not sure 

How can i check on which interface ip address got assigned ?

rajshekarr@patablr2:~$ telnet x.x.x.x port
    Trying x.x.x.x...
    Connected to x.x.x.x.
    Escape character is '^]'.

~ #
    ~ #
    ~ #
    ~ # ls
    aruba dev flash mnt sbin tmp var
    bin etc lib proc sys usr

• 13.  RE: GRE tunnel

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2013 06:14 AM

I would try "ifconfig" to see the ip address.

• 14.  RE: GRE tunnel

Posted Feb 01, 2013 04:24 AM
    what i understand from this post it.. If we deploy AP's as Campus AP's
    In Tunnel mode.. if control plane security is disable the AP and MC will form GRE tunnel and if CP is off, the AP and MC will form IP Sec tunnel.
    True??