Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Hello airheads, 

I´m completely new to Aruba products, so please bear with me.
I need to monitor an Aruba cluster that is administered through AirWave, and I need to do so via SNMPv2c. I´m only interested in getting the number of APs in the UP state and the number of APs in the DOWN state. 
Where exactly is it in the AirWave interface that I can get/set the SNMP strings needed for this? I ask because so far, in AirWave, I´ve seen different SNMP credentials in the Discovery tab and in the Communications tab. Apparently used for different purposed. This gets me somewhat confused. 

Thank you.  

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

We have list of Airwave API queries which you can use to fetch data, refere API document under Home>Documentaion page in Airwave.

If you want to monitor Airwave using external NMS server then we need to install snmpd service manually which need TAC help and need your Aruba accounts team involvment. Any custom installation need approval.

Pavan Arshewar | ACCP

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Are these mobility controllers or IAPs? If these are mobility controllers we can add a community string on controller under Configuration --> SNMP, post that navigate to Device Setup --> Add then select device as Aruba provide the IP and community string and add it. All the APs under this controller should come under new devices after the first successful poll.
We can also, setup a scan method under Device setup --> Discover on Airwave where we can specify a particular network and SNMP credentials so that devices discovered will come under new device list and we can add it to specific group and folder.

If these are IAPs we have to specify Airwave IP and a shared key on IAP GUI under systems and wait for it to get discovered under new devices.
You can refer to the user guide for more details.

Regards,
Vishnu
If my post helped you, don't forget to give kudos ;)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Thank you for the answer Vishnu.

They are IAPs indeed. I didn´t quite get your answer however. 
I need to get the SNMP data to a Linux machine. So, suppose I have this command structure:

snmpwalk -v2c -c community IPADDRESS OID

Where can I find the string (in Airwave) that I need to set as the community string for the command to work in my Linux machine?

Highlighted

IAPs doesnt communicate with Airwave using SNMP. It uses https. Hence, we have to specify Airwave's IP, Shared key on IAP Settings --> Admin tab. 

You can refer to the instant deployment guide for more details. I have attached it for your reference.

Regards,
Vishnu
Highlighted
MVP

I don't believe you can query Airwave for the status of an iAP (or anything else managed by Airwave) - rather you have Airwave send traps to your SNMP service.

Or, you can query the iAP cluster directly via SNMP.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

I think there's a misunderstanding. AirWave is already deployed and configured, no need to discover any new IAPs or clusters.

What I'm trying to do is to get information about one cluster managed by AirWave to a third system, in this case a linux machine. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

@Msabin

So, it is possible to SNMP query directly to the cluster's virtual controller. Will setting or changing the SNMP credentials in the virtual controller somehow tamper with the communications between the cluster and airwave?

Highlighted

What information are we trying to get to the external server from IAP? We can add external NMS on Airwave and configure a trigger and then select NMS as a notification option for trigger. The Sync action will send one traps/informs for each device managed by AMP to notify an NMS of each one's up/down and configuration status.

Changing SNMP details on IAP wont break the communication between Airwave and IAP since IAP doesnt use SNMP to talk with Airwave it uses https.

Regards,
Vishnu
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

@Vishnu Mannil wrote:

What information are we trying to get to the external server from IAP? We can add external NMS on Airwave and configure a trigger and then select NMS as a notification option for trigger. The Sync action will send one traps/informs for each device managed by AMP to notify an NMS of each one's up/down and configuration status.

Changing SNMP details on IAP wont break the communication between Airwave and IAP since IAP doesnt use SNMP to talk with Airwave it uses https.

@Vishnu

For now, I'm only interested in getting the state of all the IAPs (UP or DOWN). 
So, from what I understand, I can configure SNMP traps in the IAPs virtual controllers to work with a third party Network Monitoring System. This without interfering with the already established Airwave Monitoring System. Is this correct? 

Highlighted

The NMS part i mentioned is for adding on Airwave and getting the trigger from Airwave to external server.

However, you can also configure SNMP trap receiver on IAP and get the traps directly from IAP. It can be added under Configuration --> System --> Monitoring --> SNMP

Regards,
Vishnu
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: