Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

This thread has been viewed 53 times
  • 1.  Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 15, 2020 07:28 AM

Hello airheads, 

I´m completely new to Aruba products, so please bear with me.
    I need to monitor an Aruba cluster that is administered through AirWave, and I need to do so via SNMPv2c. I´m only interested in getting the number of APs in the UP state and the number of APs in the DOWN state. 
    Where exactly is it in the AirWave interface that I can get/set the SNMP strings needed for this? I ask because so far, in AirWave, I´ve seen different SNMP credentials in the Discovery tab and in the Communications tab. Apparently used for different purposed. This gets me somewhat confused. 

Thank you.  

• 2.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:44 AM

Are these mobility controllers or IAPs? If these are mobility controllers we can add a community string on controller under Configuration --> SNMP, post that navigate to Device Setup --> Add then select device as Aruba provide the IP and community string and add it. All the APs under this controller should come under new devices after the first successful poll.
    We can also, setup a scan method under Device setup --> Discover on Airwave where we can specify a particular network and SNMP credentials so that devices discovered will come under new device list and we can add it to specific group and folder.

If these are IAPs we have to specify Airwave IP and a shared key on IAP GUI under systems and wait for it to get discovered under new devices.
    You can refer to the user guide for more details.

• 3.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 15, 2020 01:06 PM

Thank you for the answer Vishnu.

They are IAPs indeed. I didn´t quite get your answer however. 
    I need to get the SNMP data to a Linux machine. So, suppose I have this command structure:

snmpwalk -v2c -c community IPADDRESS OID

Where can I find the string (in Airwave) that I need to set as the community string for the command to work in my Linux machine?

• 4.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 01:22 PM
      |   view attached

IAPs doesnt communicate with Airwave using SNMP. It uses https. Hence, we have to specify Airwave's IP, Shared key on IAP Settings --> Admin tab. 

You can refer to the instant deployment guide for more details. I have attached it for your reference.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    DeployingInstantInAirWave.pdf   1.13 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 15, 2020 08:21 PM

I think there's a misunderstanding. AirWave is already deployed and configured, no need to discover any new IAPs or clusters.

What I'm trying to do is to get information about one cluster managed by AirWave to a third system, in this case a linux machine. 

• 6.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 15, 2020 07:14 PM

I don't believe you can query Airwave for the status of an iAP (or anything else managed by Airwave) - rather you have Airwave send traps to your SNMP service.

Or, you can query the iAP cluster directly via SNMP.

• 7.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 15, 2020 08:57 PM

@Msabin

So, it is possible to SNMP query directly to the cluster's virtual controller. Will setting or changing the SNMP credentials in the virtual controller somehow tamper with the communications between the cluster and airwave?

• 8.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 11:36 AM

What information are we trying to get to the external server from IAP? We can add external NMS on Airwave and configure a trigger and then select NMS as a notification option for trigger. The Sync action will send one traps/informs for each device managed by AMP to notify an NMS of each one's up/down and configuration status.

Changing SNMP details on IAP wont break the communication between Airwave and IAP since IAP doesnt use SNMP to talk with Airwave it uses https.

• 9.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 16, 2020 01:11 PM

@Vishnu Mannil wrote:

What information are we trying to get to the external server from IAP? We can add external NMS on Airwave and configure a trigger and then select NMS as a notification option for trigger. The Sync action will send one traps/informs for each device managed by AMP to notify an NMS of each one's up/down and configuration status.

Changing SNMP details on IAP wont break the communication between Airwave and IAP since IAP doesnt use SNMP to talk with Airwave it uses https.

@Vishnu

For now, I'm only interested in getting the state of all the IAPs (UP or DOWN). 
    So, from what I understand, I can configure SNMP traps in the IAPs virtual controllers to work with a third party Network Monitoring System. This without interfering with the already established Airwave Monitoring System. Is this correct? 

• 10.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 01:24 PM

The NMS part i mentioned is for adding on Airwave and getting the trigger from Airwave to external server.

However, you can also configure SNMP trap receiver on IAP and get the traps directly from IAP. It can be added under Configuration --> System --> Monitoring --> SNMP

• 11.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 17, 2020 08:07 AM

@Vishnu Mannil wrote:

The NMS part i mentioned is for adding on Airwave and getting the trigger from Airwave to external server.

However, you can also configure SNMP trap receiver on IAP and get the traps directly from IAP. It can be added under Configuration --> System --> Monitoring --> SNMP

Thank you for your help. It´s really appreciated.

I read a little bit about the NMS part you mentioned: one can indeed configure Airwave to send SNMP traps to an external NMS. However, if I wanted to use an MIB browser to perform basic GET queries to Airwave; what community string would I use, the same one I configured for the SNMP traps? 

• 12.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 08:19 AM

We have list of Airwave API queries which you can use to fetch data, refere API document under Home>Documentaion page in Airwave.

If you want to monitor Airwave using external NMS server then we need to install snmpd service manually which need TAC help and need your Aruba accounts team involvment. Any custom installation need approval.

• 13.  RE: Getting data from AirWave via SNMP

Posted Jan 21, 2020 03:25 PM

@Pavan Arshewar wrote:

We have list of Airwave API queries which you can use to fetch data, refere API document under Home>Documentaion page in Airwave.

If you want to monitor Airwave using external NMS server then we need to install snmpd service manually which need TAC help and need your Aruba accounts team involvment. Any custom installation need approval.

Pretty much what I needed to know. I´ll use the API since it looks like the easier option.

Thank you sir.