Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

Posted Nov 29, 2011 07:46 PM

Our original network was broken up into 4 vlans,  admin, elementary, junior high and high school.     Each part of the building has its own dhcp scope. 

I've been launching these AP's today and noticed that it won't let me create the SSID on each group,  but uses a shared SSID.   So I configured each group to use the shared SSID.   Now it seems that devices around the building are being assigned IP's for other parts of the building. 

How can I make each group share the same SSID,  but be in different vlans with different dhcp scopes? 

Thanks

Brandon

• 2.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:45 PM

You should create an AP group and Virutal AP profile for each school (with a different VLAN for each) and then have them all use the same SSID profile.  The VLAN is tied to the VAP and VAPs can share an SSID profile.

• 3.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

Posted Nov 29, 2011 10:36 PM

Ah hah - thats what I get for using the wizard. 

It seems to be working,   i'm sharing the same AAA profile between them all - but i've started seeing devices come on with different IP's now.    Guess i'll know if I screwed something up or not in the morning when people come in!  :)

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

Posted Nov 30, 2011 12:53 AM

Waited for the leases to expire and it looks like it is in fact working :) 

Also dug in and tweaked the ARM default profile to boost the min power,  and turned on the auto AM setting.    Was actually quite surprised how good it thinks the signal is.  It shut off all but 2 AP's in our junior high and set the rest as air monitors - and they are all around 60' apart.  

• 5.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2011 07:01 AM

@bbelew wrote:

Waited for the leases to expire and it looks like it is in fact working :) 

Also dug in and tweaked the ARM default profile to boost the min power,  and turned on the auto AM setting.    Was actually quite surprised how good it thinks the signal is.  It shut off all but 2 AP's in our junior high and set the rest as air monitors - and they are all around 60' apart.  

Wow, how many APs do you have? Are they all in the same rooms? If walls are separating them, I am surprised that all but 2 turned into air monitors. If the are 60' apart, with walls separating them, or like Harold said, in a the hallway, I would disable mode aware.

Like Harold said, mode aware is determined by AP to AP listening, not AP to client. If AP-1 hears AP-2 really well, but there is a client on the outskirts of AP-2's coverage area, with mode aware AP-2 will become an air monitor. AP-1 wont be able to provide coverage to the client on the outskirts of AP-2's coverage area. Therefore the client wont be able to connect.

• 6.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

Posted Nov 30, 2011 10:35 AM

Figured it was easier to post pictures,  that way you guys can see what i'm talking about - and point out how badly my choices were on AP placement :)     - I still have a few more to place,  in the bare areas in the middle.

They are all for the most part in the halls,  ceiling mounted.     After reading your post this morning I turned off the mode aware feature.

Along the middle part of the building ( JH ), the inner room walls are all re-inforced and filled with concrete to my knowledge,  since they are considered storm shelters.    The entire building is block wall, suspended ceiling,   one floor,  lots of reflective lockers, metal roof.  

Network Map

Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 9.30.30 AM.png

• 7.  RE: Groups, vlans and shared SSID's.

Posted Nov 30, 2011 06:27 AM

If the AP's are in a Hallway this may not be the place to turn on Mode Aware.  AP's in the hallways hear each other very well and will shut off, as well as turn down power, on too may AP's and your coverage will possibly suffer

Thanks

Harold