Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest SSID with Captive portal on remote AP mode

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Guest SSID with Captive portal on remote AP mode

Posted Apr 18, 2020 07:04 PM

HI All,
    I'm asking about creating guest SSID with captive portal on remote AP , Is it possible?

and what will be the authentication mode for this SSID bridge or tunnel? 

If the controller is unreachable , is there any possible way to keep this SSID continue broadcasting like other SSIDs on bridge mode?
    if there's something missed ask me to make it clear

thanks all in advance 

• 2.  RE: Guest SSID with Captive portal on remote AP mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2020 07:18 PM

Yes, in tunnel and split tunnel mode.  I would set it up in tunnel mode first.

It does not work in bridged mode and it will not stay up if the access point is disconnected.

• 3.  RE: Guest SSID with Captive portal on remote AP mode

Posted Apr 18, 2020 07:23 PM

thanks sir for your response 

another Question , actually AP is in the same site with the controller but i used the remote mode because i have only one controller and i need to keep SSID broadcasting if the controller is down , my question about the VPN Configuration needed for this situation , what should i configure in steps?

• 4.  RE: Guest SSID with Captive portal on remote AP mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2020 07:25 PM

You won't be able to use that method to keep a Captive Portal SSID up, because always SSIDs only work in bridge mode.  You cannot keep a Captive Portal SSID up if the AP loses connectivity with the controller.  I would put in a second controller or deploy an instant AP that does not depend on a controller.  Controllers honestly do not fail often...