Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest VLAN to separate DSL

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Guest VLAN to separate DSL

Posted Feb 17, 2012 12:02 PM

I have a 650 running version 6.1.2 of the software.  I currently have 2 VLANs set up -- VLAN1 for employee access, and VLAN10 for Guest  For the most part these work great.  I have a separate DSL line I would like to plug into port 2 of the 650 and have all Guest internet flow through that connection -- What kind of policy do I need to add to get this done --

That being said -- I am really new to firewall policies -- if you also know of a good reference would love to know it.

barry

• 2.  RE: Guest VLAN to separate DSL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2012 01:24 PM

bedwards@shamrockbank.com wrote:

I have a 650 running version 6.1.2 of the software.  I currently have 2 VLANs set up -- VLAN1 for employee access, and VLAN10 for Guest  For the most part these work great.  I have a separate DSL line I would like to plug into port 2 of the 650 and have all Guest internet flow through that connection -- What kind of policy do I need to add to get this done --

That being said -- I am really new to firewall policies -- if you also know of a good reference would love to know it.

barry

Here are the steps you need to take:

1.  Create an Arbitrary VLAN (1000 is my favorite) on the controller

2.  Give that Arbitratry VLAN an ip address in the Range that your DSL line assigns to clients

3.  Run the command "ip cp-redirect-address <ip address of the controller in that VLAN>" to make sure guest users use the controller's ip address to bring up the page

4.  Configure a separte port on the controller to place users in that VLAN 

5.  Run the WLAN Wizard, choose guest and make sure that users are placed in the VLAN

6.  Connect the DSL modem via ethernet cable to the port you configured in step 4.

7.  See if your user can associate to that new ssid

Here are the commandline steps:

config t

vlan 1000

interface vlan 1000

ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.255.0 (or whatever ip address you give the controller in that range)

ip cp-redirect-address 192.168.1.250

Interface gigabitethernet 1/3

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1000

5.  Go into the GUI to Configuration> WLAN/LAN Wizard and Run it to create that guest network.

6.  Connect the DSL modem to the controller port in step 4.

• 3.  RE: Guest VLAN to separate DSL

Posted Feb 21, 2012 12:35 PM

Thanks Very much -- I think i',m with you for the most part -- a couple of other questions --

(step 3)it ip cp-redirect-address command -- will this keep the captive portal login that i currently have working? -- where i create users to get the access?

(step 5)  If i already have the guest network up -- do i need to re-create it?

barry

• 4.  RE: Guest VLAN to separate DSL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2012 08:07 PM

bedwards@shamrockbank.com wrote:

Thanks Very much -- I think i',m with you for the most part -- a couple of other questions --

(step 3)it ip cp-redirect-address command -- will this keep the captive portal login that i currently have working? -- where i create users to get the access?

(step 5)  If i already have the guest network up -- do i need to re-create it?

barry

Step 3 - You can skip this if you already have a Captive portal working.  We might have to edit it later, but for now, keep it that way.

Step 5 - You don't need to re-create it, but create the VLAN, Assign an ip address in the DSL modem's ip address space to the controller's VLAN, and assign that VLAN to the port that you connect to one of the  DSL modem ports.

• 5.  RE: Guest VLAN to separate DSL

Posted Oct 09, 2015 06:15 AM

This Tuts very interesting.

I have simillar issue regarding separate ISP. I have Itry this guidance but it didn't work for me.

FYI, I have IP public for both ISP .. any advice?

Thanks