Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Guest Wireless DNS Server

Hello,

We are currently set up with the guest wireless using one of our internal DNS servers. We have an ACL in place to restrict all access from the Guest Wireless other than DNS requests over port 53 to our internal DNS server. 

Our concern is that even though they don't have access to our internal network, they are able to complete NSlookup requests to our Domain Controller and locate internal IP addresses. The Guest users need to resolve the address to our internal ClearPass Server but once they are authenticated they no longer need to use the internal DNS. Is there a way to allow the Aruba Controller to act as the DNS server for the initial ClearPass Authentication then switch the client over to a public DNS server like 8.8.8.8? Or would it be possible to add a DNS record on the Aruba Controller that can resolve the ClearPass domain name and the clients can use the public DNS server? 

Alternatively, if neither of those will work we are planning to install a standalone DNS server that only holds an A record for the ClearPass server then all other requests are forwarded to a public DNS server (8.8.8.8). 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Guest Wireless DNS Server

We have a Publisher/Subscriber setup but they are load balancing an IP so we only have the one ClearPass server. However, we have a publicly signed SSL cert imported for our domain. If they are redirected by IP they will get a certificate error. We need a DNS server to resolve the hostname.domainname.us address so they don't get the cert errors. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
MVP Guru

That is correct, you can not have private IP space as IP in a public certificate. It should be possible for public IPs if these are owned by you, it may not be possible if the IP is owned by the ISP. It's highly uncommon to have IP addresses in a certificate, and also not needed.

With a certificate that has a public host-name as SAN, I have for example cppm.nl.arubalab.com as a public certificate, you can still point to a private IP address, even in public DNS. If you look up cppm.nl.arubalab.com now, you will see that the IP resolves to 192.168.32.16, which is a perfectly valid situation as the certificate is validated during issuing typically against a DNS record or domain owner mail address, and you control the DNS records. Just make sure that you have a CA that can issue certificates with a different validation than connecting to the IP address as that is unreachable for the CA.

When published like this in your external DNS, then you can even use a public DNS service from your provider or the well known other like 1.1.1.1, 4.4.4.4, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 or others all the time.

Some people think that you cannot have certificates pointing to private IP spaces, which is a misconception when using a valid public domain name and DNS. You just cannot have them point to a non-public domain name.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).

All Replies
Highlighted
Guru Elite

How many ClearPass Captive Portal Servers do you have?  If you have only one, you can just redirect to that ip address and use a public dns server the whole time.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
New Contributor

We have a Publisher/Subscriber setup but they are load balancing an IP so we only have the one ClearPass server. However, we have a publicly signed SSL cert imported for our domain. If they are redirected by IP they will get a certificate error. We need a DNS server to resolve the hostname.domainname.us address so they don't get the cert errors. 

Highlighted
Guru Elite

You could have solved it by also embedding the ip address into the san of the certificate.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
New Contributor

I did not think of that. I will reissue the certificate with the up address
in the SANs name.

Thanks,
Jake

--

*-------------------- Email Confidentiality Disclaimer
The information in this e-mail is meant only for the
personal and confidential use of the recipient above. This communication 
may contain information which is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the person receiving this message is
not the intended recipient or you have received this message in error, any
review, publication, copying or other distribution of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please 
notify the sender immediately by telephone, return the original message to
me by mail, destroy any copies you may have made and delete the
communication from any computer and/or storage media. Thank you for your
cooperation.
Highlighted
Guru Elite

That may or may not work.  Take a look at the Certificates 101 Technote here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=33288

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Hi,

As far as I know, you no longer can issue a signed certificate with embedded IP address (containing a private IP).

I think a cleaner solution is to have an A record for the ClearPass server that is accessible from external public DNS servers..

Highlighted
MVP Guru

That is correct, you can not have private IP space as IP in a public certificate. It should be possible for public IPs if these are owned by you, it may not be possible if the IP is owned by the ISP. It's highly uncommon to have IP addresses in a certificate, and also not needed.

With a certificate that has a public host-name as SAN, I have for example cppm.nl.arubalab.com as a public certificate, you can still point to a private IP address, even in public DNS. If you look up cppm.nl.arubalab.com now, you will see that the IP resolves to 192.168.32.16, which is a perfectly valid situation as the certificate is validated during issuing typically against a DNS record or domain owner mail address, and you control the DNS records. Just make sure that you have a CA that can issue certificates with a different validation than connecting to the IP address as that is unreachable for the CA.

When published like this in your external DNS, then you can even use a public DNS service from your provider or the well known other like 1.1.1.1, 4.4.4.4, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 or others all the time.

Some people think that you cannot have certificates pointing to private IP spaces, which is a misconception when using a valid public domain name and DNS. You just cannot have them point to a non-public domain name.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you Herman, this is exactly what I needed. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: