Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

Posted Jul 10, 2012 04:47 PM

Has anyone set up a tool to monitor guest WLAN bandwidth usage? I know that I can do this for a 15 minute window in the dashboard (6.1.3.1 on a 3000). I tried to use our network monitor (Statseeker) to SNMP poll for all interfaces including the VLAN that is used for guest access, but there is no data there, just zero. I was curious if anyone else has ever wanted to know this data or keep it historically.

I also have a question about the controllers and bandwidth limit for guests. I am about to increase our current limits we have set (2 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up) by a meg each, and up until now I thought that this limit was spread across both controllers. When I look at the dashboard graph for WLAN usage for the guest WLAN on both controllers, they are each showing peaks to 2 Mb, so I think this is a limit set per controller. Is that right? The controllers are set up as a master/slave with AP’s spread across them.

Thanks,

Levin

• 2.  RE: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2012 01:34 AM

The limit is set per controller, yes, so your peak rate will be double what you have configured on a single controller.

If you have your controller connected to a switch, you might want to try to use Statseeker on that device, to view the guest VLAN, instead...

• 3.  RE: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

Posted Jul 11, 2012 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Joseph. Unfortunately I am not able to separate the guest traffic like that as it is currently a nat in the controller and going out a trunked port, although I am in the process of redesigning to a more secure physical connection from a free port on the controller straight to a Juniper SSG, then I can do just what you suggested.

So since we have the guest firewall policy set with a bandwidth contract of 3 Mb/2 Mb per role, can I further confine that to say 500 Kb per user? That way one user can’t hog all the pipe. When I look at the setting it looks like it is an either per user or per role but not both.

• 4.  RE: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2012 02:58 PM
    Make it 500k per user in that role.

• 5.  RE: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

Posted Jul 11, 2012 04:32 PM

Okay, so it sounds like it is either per user or per role, but no option to limit a user to one level then further limit all users to a max level (like a not no exceed limit).

• 6.  RE: Guest bandwidth usage and monitoring with two controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2012 06:15 AM

No, there is not.