Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest traffic bandwidth, what's everyone using?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Guest traffic bandwidth, what's everyone using?

Posted Nov 26, 2018 05:31 PM

Currently we have guest traffic bandwidth contract set to 3Mbps and we are planning to up it to 5Mbps.  Could everyone please post what they have their guest traffic contract set to and the reasoning why?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Guest traffic bandwidth, what's everyone using?

Posted Nov 27, 2018 11:01 AM

Always depends on the situation for my customers networks. Are you currently doing 3Mbps per user, role, or AP-Group? 

I personally like per role because it can be an easier decision to make based on your internet connection. For example, if you have a 100Mbps internet connection and you don't want to exceed 20Mbps for guests then your per role download contract could be 20Mbps. If there are only a few Guests users on they will have faster/better speeds.

I have seen tiered Guest bandwidth contracts become popular too. Using Clearpass authentication we can send back different roles for different Guest Users. For example - BYOD employee/student devices on Guest if they sign in with AD creds they get better speeds than someone that is an actual visitor. Giving more information in an incentive to get faster speeds.