Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  HA in OS8

Posted Aug 28, 2018 08:40 AM

I have 2 x 7010 controllers in a DMZ supplying corporate wireless access via RAP.  I've upgraded to OS8.2.1.0 from 6.4, there's no MM in this part of the network so i've gone with standalone MC's and master redundancy (similar to 6.4) however when I've set up the HA with a master and standby LMS in the group i'm not seeing the standby IP in the sh ap database command and nor am I seeing any information when I do a sh ha ap table.  Does HA work with RAP's in this scenario?  I've seen on a much earler post that in 6.4 HA does not work with RAP's is it the same for OS8?

• 2.  RE: HA in OS8
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:01 AM

There is no "HA" for Raps in AOS8 orAOS 6.  You just use LMS-ip and backup LMS-ip, but a standby tunnel is not created on the second controller.  The "HA" Campus concept does not translate for RAPs.

• 3.  RE: HA in OS8

Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:04 AM

so no point in setting up an HA group then?

• 4.  RE: HA in OS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:04 AM

Not with remote APs, no.

• 5.  RE: HA in OS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:12 AM

Also, clustering does not work with RAPs currently either.  So an MM and clustering will also not help you right now.  Just an FYI.

• 6.  RE: HA in OS8

Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:23 AM

ok no problem - back to VRRP failover then for the mo!

Many thanks

• 7.  RE: HA in OS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:27 AM

You can do VRRP failover if there is no firewall between the AP and the VRRP (the controllers have public ip addresses as well as a VRRP addressed on them).  It is preferable to point a RAP to a DNS a-record that has two ip addresses, that way the AP will either get both ip addresses and try one after the other, or the DNS round-robins and gives the RAP a different address for each request.

• 8.  RE: HA in OS8

Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:33 AM

The RAP's are pointing at a DNS address which is the IP of the VRRP but all 3 external IP addresses (Controller 1, Controller 2 & VRRP) are allowed through the firewall

• 9.  RE: HA in OS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:38 AM

That probably is fine.