Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

HT 40MHz Intolerance

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  HT 40MHz Intolerance

Posted Jan 23, 2014 05:04 PM

I have a Mac client that suddenly has issue connecting to our 802.1X network only in a specific location on campus. Her client's configuration has been wiped. Her credentials are accepted, but she never gets an IP address, though our infrastructure sends her one. The only non-STM logs I see are these intolerance messages from IDS:

Spoiler
    Jan 23 13:48:42 #.#.#.# sapd[730]: <127053> <WARN> |AP ap_name@#.#.#.# sapd| |ids-ap| AP(6c:f3:7f:xx:xx:30): 802.11n 40MHZ Intolerance: An AP detected an HT 40MHZ Intolerance setting from a station (b8:e8:56:xx:xx:6a) on CHANNEL 6. SNR is 33 and FrameType is ASSOC_REQ. Additional Info: Src-MAC:b8:e8:56:xx:xx:6a; Dst-MAC:6c:f3:7f:xx:xx:30; BSSID:6c:f3:7f:xx:xx:30.

These always occur at the same time the station associates on 2.4GHz in a particular few locations.

I believe this is simply telling me that the bit in the association request indicated that the station does not support channel bonding on 2.4GHz. If that's the case, can I just consider this noise?

• 2.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

Posted Jan 23, 2014 07:12 PM
    Ryan do you mean 5 ghz channel bonding ?

Or do you have enable channel bonding for 2.4 enabled in certain areas of your campus ?

• 3.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 07:40 PM

I would check to see if the BSSID that is reporting the intolerance is on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

• 4.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

Posted Jan 24, 2014 12:05 PM

We do not enable channel bonding on 2.4GHz anywhere on campus. For every instance of these logs, the BSSID reporting it is on the 2.4GHz radio.

Again, I think this is simply a notification that the client has the "40MHz Intolerant" bit set in the association request. However, this log shows as a WARN level and is part of Aruba IDS. Since this is the only anomolous log I have for this particular client, does anyone know whether there can be a correlation between this and a clients' sudden disconnects?

• 5.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

Posted Jan 24, 2014 03:59 PM

I just noticed the following in the client-trail. Can you explain "Internal deauth" to me? Internal to the controller, or to the client?

Client Trail Info
    -----------------
    MAC                BSSID              ESSID        AP-name      VLAN  Deauth Reason    Alert
    ---                -----              -----        -------      ----  -------------    -----
    b8:e8:56:xx:xx:6a  00:0b:86:xx:xx:90  osuwireless  building-3-9  3212  Internal deauth  Internal deauth

Deauth Reason
    -------------
    Reason                            Timestamp
    ------                            ---------
    Internal deauth                   Jan 24 10:27:41
    STA has roamed to another AP      Jan 23 13:50:19
    Ptk Challenge Failed              Jan 23 13:50:03
    STA has roamed to another AP      Jan 23 13:49:39
    Internal deauth                   Jan 23 13:49:06
    Internal deauth                   Jan 23 12:42:49
    Response to EAP Challenge Failed  Jan 23 12:42:00
    STA has roamed to another AP      Jan 23 12:17:52
    Internal deauth                   Jan 23 12:15:31
    STA has roamed to another AP      Jan 23 12:08:45
    Num Deauths:10

• 6.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2014 05:56 PM

Internal Deauth is when a client gets aged out by STM.

• 7.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2014 02:02 AM

@Ryan wrote:

We do not enable channel bonding on 2.4GHz anywhere on campus. For every instance of these logs, the BSSID reporting it is on the 2.4GHz radio.

Again, I think this is simply a notification that the client has the "40MHz Intolerant" bit set in the association request. However, this log shows as a WARN level and is part of Aruba IDS. Since this is the only anomolous log I have for this particular client, does anyone know whether there can be a correlation between this and a clients' sudden disconnects?

Not meaningful.  As you said, the controller just alerts when it sees the intolerance bit and even the alert is optional.  More information is needed about that specific client like MAC OSX version, and platform.  I suggest that WLAN debugging be enabled on the MAC to get to the bottom of the issue:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport debug +AllUserLand

• 8.  RE: HT 40MHz Intolerance

Posted Jul 29, 2015 11:34 PM
      |   view attached

Dear 

this is because the cleint have intorrelant bit 

this feature say that the cleint donot want to join 40 MHZ channels which enforce the network to reduce it is speed 

so the IDS at ARuba Controller have feature to detect this feature at the client and make de-authentiaction for his as rouge cleint 

you can disable this feature at the IDS