Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 18, 2013 10:41 AM

We have had numerous users that have had issues connecting to our campus wireless.  Their laptops will authenticate and connect but then drop and have a hard time reconnecting.  In many cases the Access Point is no more than one room away.  This appears to be happening mainly with Apple laptops running various versions of OS.  I'm curious if any other Higher Ed institutions have seen this and if they have determined the cause/work-around to keep users from dropping.

• 2.  RE: Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 18, 2013 11:16 AM

Some more details on your network settings would be beneficial.

e.g. OPEN SSID?   WPA-2 Enterprise?   Type of APs in use (telling us the mode the laptops are operating in)    etc.

More info please ;)

JF

PS - Congrats on your first post, I see you have been a member since 2009. ;)

• 3.  RE: Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 23, 2013 12:46 PM

Secure ssid using wpa2 enterprise.  Authenticated using PEAP (MSChap v2).  Mixed AP environment (65, 70,125, and 135).  I have seen some chat on wireless boards about users having issues where the laptop roams between the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels.  I'm not sure if anyone else using Aruba has noticed this issue.

• 4.  RE: Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 24, 2013 08:23 PM

We encountered this behaviour in 6.1.3.7. The bug id is 76905 in the 6.1.3.8 relase notes for known issues, where the macbooks running 10.7 and 10.8 would bounce between the 2.4Ghz and 5Gz.

It is still a known issue in the 6.1.3.10 release notes.

• 5.  RE: Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 18, 2013 07:13 PM

We have a good amount of Mac users in our environment and some of the issues we have encounter is when a user roams from one AP to another  and the workaround is to enable "validate pmkid" under the 802.1x profile

We also have seen issues where the user can't authenticate and it gets an error "Invalid Password" but the Radius request never makes it to the Radius server and the only workaround is to reboot the laptop.

In the education forum somebody posted an issue with Macbooks 802.1x with v10.8.4:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/groups/groupmessagepage/board-id/edu/thread-id/66

• 6.  RE: Has anyone else had connectivity issues with Apple laptops in the Higher Ed environment?

Posted Sep 18, 2013 07:17 PM

Very good tweaks, IF the network is dot1x.  

It's not clear (to me at least) from the original post what type of network we are dealing with here... first things first ;)

JF