Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone has experience or can give advice on supplying wireless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Has anyone has experience or can give advice on supplying wireless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

Posted Jan 27, 2014 04:12 PM

Has any one thoughts or experience on wirless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

Would like to charge back to each user.

Thoughts and advice appreciated

• 2.  RE: Has anyone has experience or can give advice on supplying wireless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

Posted Jan 27, 2014 05:05 PM

A couple of thoughts to get you started.

Your 3/4G carrier selection is critical. How well do they cover the coach routes?

Also, you're likely to get the 3/4G out of the coach using a RAP I suspect. Have a careful think about where the unit will be physical installed. What about antenna fix feasibility? Both WiFi and 3/4G.

Be careful when selecting the mobile USB adapter. Aruba have strings for some, others need a lot of work to setup correctly (TAC can help sometimes).

Also, I'm not so sure customers on a coach will be willing to pay. I wouldn't. I would recommend the customer consider this a cost of sale and value add / business differentiator over their competition. Unless they know their competition already charges for this on their coaches? I would think it's difficult to justify the charges, based on the fact the 3G might not always give consistent service and quality of delivery.

Just a thought.

• 3.  RE: Has anyone has experience or can give advice on supplying wireless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

Posted Jan 27, 2014 05:32 PM

Thanks for the response.

Agree on the charge back. Using this as a differentiator is the best way to go.

Coach voltage will also be a issue as most are 24v. This can be a work around.

AP / 3/4G Dongle Mounting locations not sure at this stage.

Antenna same as above but 3/4G must be external.

Coverage will work on but if chargeback is used and performance is poor this will only give bad rap to the Coach line.

"Be careful when selecting the mobile USB adapter" do you have any preference here?

• 4.  RE: Has anyone has experience or can give advice on supplying wireless access on coaches via 3G or 4G?

Posted Jan 28, 2014 02:04 AM
      |   view attached

The TAC will share the latest supported adapter spreadsheet with you if you ask for it. The sheet includes all the dialer and INIT strings etc, so it's useful.

I haven't had to ask for one for a couple of years, so the one I have to hand is a bit old (attached)! Recommend you go ahead and ask for the latest!

Attachment(s)