Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Help with hardwired RAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Help with hardwired RAP

Posted Oct 13, 2014 09:42 AM

I need to use a RAP to get hardwired traffic into our network from a remote, mobile trailer.  Anyone have a specific guide for this scenario?  I can't find enough information about how to configure this.  I can get wireless working but hardwired just doesn't want to work.

• 2.  RE: Help with hardwired RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2014 09:53 AM

pdavis,

In that AP-Group, under AP> Ethernet Interface1> Wired AP Profile, you need to make sure Wired AP is enabled, Trusted is enabled, and forward mode is tunnel.  You also need to make sure that the Tunnel VLAN is one that is connected to your controller.

This is if you have a RAP that has more than one ethernet interface and the enet1 port is the one you need to have connectivity to your infrastructure...

• 3.  RE: Help with hardwired RAP

Posted Oct 13, 2014 10:07 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I have those step done and triple checked: Enabled, trusted and tunnel mode. (using AP125 with ETH0 as uplink and ETH1 for LAN connectivity)

I'm wondering about the authentication portion possibly.  I have it set in AAA to "Initial role/MAC AUTH default role/802.1x AUTH default role" of students and controller shows students as the role for the client.  This role should allow all the things needed but traffic does not pass.  Does the client need additional authentication beyond this from an Aruba perspective?  We want all hardwired devices to have the same role.

• 4.  RE: Help with hardwired RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2014 10:29 AM

First things first:

What are you powering the AP125 with?  Does a device that is plugged into the eth1 show a link?  If Yes, you are good.  If NO, you are not providing enough power to the AP.

Second:  If the link is up, traffic should pass and be placed on the VLAN in your infrastructure defined in the wired link profile.  If that does not work, you need to figure it out before we start with roles and authentication:  

If you have the wired port as trusted, it will let all traffic pass without assigning a role; you want it like that initially to establish connectivity first.  Once you establish that devices can get an ip address from your infrastructure, you can change the wired profile to Untrusted, and users will be placed into the initial role of the AAA profile and end up in the user table.

• 5.  RE: Help with hardwired RAP

Posted Oct 13, 2014 10:44 AM