Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Hidden SSID roaming

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 04:29 AM

Hi Team,

Would like to know if the below is expected?

Connected to an hidden SSID in AP1 then the AP1 rebooted so we got disconnected and we expected to reconnect to the same SSID once the AP1 back.

However, we had to reconnect manually to AP1 by adding the hidden SSID and password.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 07:18 AM

Heading is a bit confusing when you mention "roaming" as I expected multiple AP's however your issue sounds more device related i.e. are you able to select "trust this network" or add the hidden network as "trust" on the device.

If so, then it will work providing the device knows and trusts the SSID.

• 3.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 07:35 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your response. 

I would like the below

SCENARIO: 

1. 1 hidden SSID being broadcasted by AP

2. Client connects to AP and manually enter ssid and password as it is hidden

3. Now lets say that AP rebooted and came up

4. Will the client connect automatically to hidden SSID or do we need to enter ssid and password again ?

Thank you!

• 4.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 07:54 AM

Hi,

As I stated before, it will depend on your DEVICE i.e. Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop whether it allows you to SAVE the SSID as a "TRUST" SSID.

Once the device stores the SSID and password, it will work and has nothing to do with the AP.

If the device can't store the SSID as a "trusted network", you will be required to enter the credentials regardless whether the SSID is hidden or not.

The DEVICE is the key here.

• 5.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 10:02 AM

Hi

Thank you for your response. Do we have any documents which confirms the same. Any Aruba document so we can share with end customer.

Thank you

• 6.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming

Posted Jul 02, 2020 11:54 AM
      |   view attached

I don't have any but you also need to check your wireless network properties on the device is set to connect to the SSID even if it's not broadcasting

• 7.  RE: Hidden SSID roaming
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 02, 2020 04:57 PM

I would recommend to not hide any SSID. Hidding an SSID means only that the AP use a wildcard (*) in the beacon frames it send out. A Hidden SSID will not add any extra security because the SSID name can easily be captured from the 802.11 frames in the air with a packet tracer. Another negative effect of hidden ssid's is that a lot of devices are depend on the essid beacon frames to let roaming work correctly.

Some good explenation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQn6OD5rn0

And read also: https://dot11.exposed/2017/12/27/how-a-hidden-ssid-can-impact-your-roaming-experience/