Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How Can i overcome competing access points?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How Can i overcome competing access points?

Posted Jul 09, 2014 04:25 PM

I work in a tall office tower. We have 4 105s that have over 80 conflicting access points. We have alot of dropped connections going on and i suspect the other ap's since our coverage is complete.

• 2.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

Posted Jul 09, 2014 04:38 PM

Wow thats some serious spectrum abuse. I would venture to assume there was not any channel planning for your neighbors?

Have you performed any analysis?

• 3.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

Posted Jul 09, 2014 04:46 PM

Other than those detected APs, I have not. I am new here and i am coming from Meraki APs.

• 4.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2014 05:15 PM

zed111111,

That is expected in an office tower environment to see tons of access points, because there is alot of open air, and your access points have GREAT receive sensitivity, so they can see alot of things.  The main thing to keep in mind is that it only becomes a problem if the signal or energy rom those foreign access points is so strong that it "drowns out" or signficantly conflicts with the signal between your APs and clients.

How many is the maximum simultaneous clients do you have your our wireless network?

How many WLANs are you broadcasting?

Do you have drop broadcast and multicast enabled?

• 5.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

Posted Jul 09, 2014 05:30 PM

We max out at about 165 clients. A mix of laptops, tablets, and smart phones.

We have 3 WLANS 1 guest, 1 for employees, and one for contractors.

Broadcast and Multicast are both disabled.

• 6.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2014 06:41 PM

Are you using Instant (IAP)?  So you should have Broadcast/Multicast ALL http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/CaptivePortal/ConfWLANGuest.htm

Is that what you have configured?

• 7.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

Posted Jul 10, 2014 11:10 AM

Broadcast and Dynamic Multicast are set to disabled. Should i set broadcast to all? and enable both multicasts?Capture.PNG

• 8.  RE: How Can i overcome competing access points?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2014 11:14 AM

Broadcast Filtering to ALL:

all.png

Do that on all of your networks.

Edit:  This is especially important if your wireless clients share a layer 2 VLAN with wired clients.