Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 08:31 AM

A Cisco switch can utilize CDP with a probe/mib to identify Cisco APs and switch port they are plugged into. How can I accomplish that with Aruba APs?

Cisco and Extreme switches are in place with Aruba 3400 controllers and a mix of APs.

InterMapper is in place as a monitoring system.

• 2.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2014 08:37 AM

LLDP is the standards-based version of CDP. You can enable it on your APs under the ethernet port configuration.

lldp-ap.PNG

• 3.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 08:58 AM

Thank you for the fast reply! I do not appear to have that option. Code version 6.1.3.7. Do I need to enable it elsewhere first?

I have tried print screen and Snip but cannot seem to get the screen shot in here. I see you had no problem...

• 4.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2014 10:42 AM

On the controller side, you have to enable lldp under each interface:

lldp.JPG

• 5.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 02:26 PM

You gave me a picture and I still can't do it.

(EC-Controller) (config) #interface gigabitethernet 1/3
    (EC-Controller) (config-if)#?
    description             Interface Specific description
    duplex                  Configure duplex Operation
    ip                      Interface Internet Protocol config commands
    lacp                    LACP interface commands
    no                      Delete Command
    port                    Perform switch port configuration
    priority-map            Priority Map Configuration.
    shutdown                Shut down the selected interface
    spanning-tree           Spanning Tree subsystem
    speed                   Configure Speed Operation
    switchport              Set the switching mode characteristics
    trusted                 Make this a trusted port
    tunneled-node-port      Enable/Disable tunneled node functionality on the
                            port.

• 6.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 02:33 PM

(EC-Controller) (config-if)#lldp ?

(EC-Controller) (config-if)#lldp

• 7.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 02:36 PM

I don't think the version you are running supports it. I am on 6.4.

• 8.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2014 02:38 PM

AP LLDP support was added in 6.3.

What are you trying to show on the controller? Didn't you say you wanted to see the information on your edge switches?

• 9.  RE: How can I find AP's and show me the iFalias/port they are in like Cisco CDP?

Posted May 12, 2014 03:13 PM

Using InterMapper, and the Cisco-Stack mib/probe, I can see all Cisco APs attached to that switch (CDP). (If I could insert a picture it might be easier to see.) Then I can set their ID on the port in the edge switch and display them on the building map.

I would like the same functionality for Aruba APs.

[How are you getting screenshots in here? I keep getting Message cannot exceed 30,000 characters.]