Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I prioritize voice traffico without VMM

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How can I prioritize voice traffico without VMM

Posted Dec 18, 2016 03:36 AM

Good Morning Aruba Community!

My question is: how can I prioritize voice traffic on air without WMM? (IP phones don't support WMM)...

There is a way to prioritize a specific SSID or other suggested trick?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Regards!

• 2.  RE: How can I prioritize voice traffico without VMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2016 04:15 AM
    Can I ask which phone?

• 3.  RE: How can I prioritize voice traffico without VMM

Posted Dec 18, 2016 06:13 AM

Thanks for your quichly reply.

Basically they are using 3 types of these wireless IP Phones:

Unidata WPU7700, WPU788, ICW1000G

Since it is getting quite urgent we should check whether prioritizing the SSID or Voice traffic is a possibility or not. In the meantime we are also checking with the supporter of the phones if enabling WMM is an option or not.

I would like to supply to my customer all the options.

Thanks in advance for your support.

• 4.  RE: How can I prioritize voice traffico without VMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2016 11:45 AM

The customer should be using phones that support WMM at minimum.  If the handset does not support WMM, the device cannot prioritize traffic coming from the handset to the AP, which is crucial for acceptable voip traffic.  Nothing you can do on the controller can prioritize traffic from the AP to the client the client to the AP.  The client  (handset) needs to do that.  Not having priority from the handset to the AP make the difference between unacceptable voip and not acceptable.  The WPU 7700 does support WMM http://www.voipsupply.com/blog/voip-insider/first-look-unidata-wpu7700-wifi-phone/